Chapter 5: Phantom

Dedicated to MyGoldenMuse

     For five years, Damien Douglass had been on the run, losing track of the pseudonyms he had used and the passports he had forged. Throughout four of those five years, he had watched, and he had waited. Waited for an opportunity to present itself. During his years of prowling through the backstreets of Southern California, of keeping to the shadows in darkened alleyways, Douglass had grown bolder.

     And with this boldness came detours and bumps in the road. Luckily, Douglass was nothing if not resourceful and had patience in spades, viewing these challenges as hurdles and roadblocks to be conquered. Watching and waiting could be quite boring at times, but he had made connections, and tonight, those connections had paid off. While messing with that bitch at the gay bar had been fun, it had also provided him with some much-needed intel.

     And now, after four years of watching and waiting, an opportunity has presented itself. Though this new development is exciting, Douglass is careful to keep his confidence from turning to arrogance, which can hinder his sensibility. Naturally, while he is glad for this turn of events, he is rather disappointed in Officer Roberts, who has apparently lost her touch since they parted ways five years earlier.

     If he had made this kind of move after her mother's murder, she would have known he was near, chased him down, and shot him point-blank in the head. When Douglass finds his thoughts trailing away from the task at hand, he clears his mind to keep it from wandering any further and muddling his concentration. He takes a deep breath and successfully directs his attention toward the blossoming relationship between Roberts and Ramirez, smiling when he realizes that the detective may prove useful in his quest.

     Now, as Jack Ramirez and Anna Roberts drift off into the world of dreams, Damien takes advantage of the free time their slumber provides and begins contemplating the coming steps he will take on his long-awaited journey to what is rightfully his. After a moment, he smiles.

     There was one form of identity fraud he had yet to try.