Prelogue

August 20th, 1998.
Dallas, Texas.

The four of us are standing at her grave, our fallen soldier. Lillith Rue Garcia. Collegue, sister, daughter and my best friend.

I lift my head and look at Michuel, who has his eyes closed to hold back his tears. My head shifts back down and i stare a the white rose i twirl aroud between my thumb and index finger in my left hand.
Its pretty, pretty like Lillith.

We all know how dangerous our job is, but still, Lillith didn't deserve to die so young.

I look up again, first at Michuel, who is wiping his escaping tears away. Then i turn my head a little to look at Conrad. He is breathing a little loud, like he is about to pass out, but thats just the way Conrad breathes.

A long deep breath, which i didn't know i was holding in, escapes my lips. My eyes switch from Conrad to the tall guy standing next to me. Harvey Denzel. Broad shoulders, green eyes, light brownish hair and the second prettiest smile i have ever seen. Lilliths is first place.

''Ready?'' Michuel says softly, its almost a whisper, but his voice is to deep to whisper.
''Yeah.'' the word comes out of me like a silent breath, you can bearly hear it, but is so silent around us that you can hear the seconds pass on Harveys watch.

''After this we split up, and we promise to never contact each other ever again.'' Conrad says before he lays his rose on Lilliths grave. After Conrad Harvey lays his rose, then Michuel an lastly me.

We stood there for 2 more minutes, well, 2 minutes and 16 seconds to be exact, i counted along with Harveys watch.
After those long 2 minutes and 16 seconds we left the graveyard.

And we never spoke each other again.