Chapter 1

Februari 6th, 2001
Dallas, Texas

I step out of my car and walk to my apartment building. Before entering i look back at my car to lock it. I open the front door and let it close behind me once i step in. I turn to the mailboxes on my right side. I'm already holding the right key to open my box.

I bend down a little to reach my box, i put the key in and take the mail out.
A magazine, taxes, another magazine, 3 weeks late birthday letter from my aunt, the 3rd magazine and... another letter. Boring mail.

After closing my box again i walk towards the stairs, where my neighbour was standing on the last steps. Evan is a 63 old man who lives with his wife and dog. Once a week i come over to drink tea and eat something. On Tuesdays their granddaughters come over. Emma and Tammi.
"Hi Evan!" I look up and face him. "Cristina dear! I haven't seen you much this week! Where were you?"
I smile, he is the only one who can call me dear.
"I was really busy with my work, a few of my colleagues were sick so-" "Its OK Cristina. But i better see you next week, we have a lot to chat about." He shakes his index finger at me like a teacher. He smiles. He had the best smile. Well, 3rd place. 1. Lillith 2. Harvey.

I look down at my shoes, shake my head a little and laugh. "Yeah. I'll bring extra biscuits. And some candy for the girls."
Evan smiles at me one last time before he walks down the last few steps. I nod at him before walking up to my apartment on the 4th floor.
I unlock my door and kick my shoes off before even closing the door. These Converse have been killing my feet since 6 in the morning. I look at my watch.

5:47 p.m.

I put my mail on the coffee table. I want to walk away but i notice the second letter is a bit dirty. I grab it and read my adres, its one of the worst handwritings I've ever seen.