Chapter Eight

This one is super long since I didn't know where to end it to where it didn't look weird. Also, PLEASE DO NOT HATE ME FOR WHAT I LAY DOWN IN THIS CHAPTER!!

As they made their way over to where the wounded apprentice lay, a thin tabby tom left the crowd and hurried to take Tigerclaw's place, brushing past the huge tom as Tigerclaw headed into the fern-shaded corner. Sky, Graypaw, Firepaw and Briarpaw all settled themselves a respectful distance away to wait until the tabby had finished speaking.

"So, Spottedleaf," the thin tabby addressed the tortoiseshell, who trotted towards Ravenpaw and Goldenflower, with a confident meow. "How is he? Do you think you can save him? I've spent a lot of time training him up, and I don't want my efforts to be wasted on the first battle."

Spottedleaf didn't look up from her examination of Goldenflower's work on her patient as she dismissed the queen and replied.

"Yes, a pity if, after all your valuable training, he dies in his first fight, eh, Runningwind?" Firepaw could hear a teasing purr in her soft mew.

"Will he live?" The thin tabby, Runningwind, demanded crossly.

"Of course. He just needs rest." Runningwind snorted and looked down at the motionless black shape. He jabbed Ravenpaw with one of his front claws.

"Come on, then! Get up!" Ravenpaw didn't move. Briarpaw didn't like the feeling she got from Runningwind, who let out a low growl when the black apprentice didn't wake.

"Not so fast, Runningwind!" Spottedleaf placed her paw over Runningwind's sharp claw and gently moved it away. "This apprentice needs to keep as still as possible until the cut has healed. We don't want him opening his wound by jumping about trying to please you. Leave him alone."

Firepaw and Briarpaw found themselves glancing between the two cats, as Runningwind didn't seem pleased. The thin tabby stiffened, and seemed about to speak when Spottedleaf mewed teasingly, "Even you know better than to argue with a medicine cat, Runningwind."

Runningwind's eyes flashed at the tortoiseshell's words. "I wouldn't dare argue with you, dear Spottedleaf," he purred.

He turned to leave when a compact brown she-cat called for him, his expression turning stormy as he padded right past where the four cats were sitting. After he was gone, the four turned back to Ravenpaw and Spottedleaf when they realized that Tigerclaw was back, and now took notice of the newcomers.

"Who are these three?" he asked Graypaw, towering above them.

"Firepaw and Briarpaw are the new apprentices. A-and Sky is Briarpaw's mother, she came afterwards," Graypaw meowed.

"They smell like kittypets!" Snorted the warrior.

"We were house cats," Briarpaw meowed coolly, "But we will all be training as warriors." Tigerclaw looked at the two younger cats with sudden interest.

"Ah, yes. Now I remember. Bluestar mentioned that she had stumbled across a pair of stray kittypets. So she's actually going to try you out, is she?" Firepaw sat up very straight, anxious to impress this distinguished warrior.

"That's right," he mewed respectfully. Tigerclaw eyed him thoughtfully. "Then I shall watch your progress with interest."

Firepaw puffed his chest out proudly as Tigerclaw turned his attention to Sky, having just now seemed to notice she was there. There was a quiet tension between the two, as Sky was as big as Tigerclaw himself, and she looked him square in the eye without flinching. Finally, the dark tabby spoke.

"You'd be Sky, then? Bluestar didn't mention you."

"Bluestar hadn't met me until today, I followed Whitestorm and Lionheart when they were guiding my kit here, and I intend to prove myself while I'm here."