Ready Or Not

I suppose there aren't many places better to start the story of two men and their trauma than a government building with a suicidal psycho waiting to blow us all up.

No time like the present and all that shit.

"Most of the others all turned in after you left," Rick said. "Merle and Morgan said they'd stay up and pack up what we can take from the kitchen before they get some sleep. So we have time." Rick said.

"Carol said she ain't goin' to sleep until she packs up some of those books and puzzles and shit for the kids." Daryl added, getting more settled into his spot on the floor. I sighed deeply and shook my still damp hair in frustration, wishing I had more time before I could start telling them everything.

"I guess we'll start with the pilot episode then, but not much has really changed. Keep in mind the only difference between the two timelines, is me. Without me, you woke up alone but you made your way to your house just fine. Granted you were far more freaked out, but you made it. Duane clocked you in the face last time too. Morgan heard you speak before he shot you for thinking you were a walker. He took you to the same house and bandaged you just like he did this time. You talked, went to the station. Cleaned up, found the guns, but then you parted ways. Duane and Morgan stayed in King County so Morgan could teach Duane to shoot and shake off his own rust."

"Did I ever see him again last time?" Rick asked.

"Unfortunately, yes," I said and took a deep breath. "I'm not gonna make a habit of jumping through time. But last time, about a year from now, you returned to King County trying to find as many guns as you could carry. You met him again but he was out of his entire goddam mind. Knee deep in a psychotic break you almost killed each other."

"What happened to Duane?" Rick asked, the knowing passing through his eyes as he spoke. Only one thing could do that to a man: losing all they have to live for.

"I put down Jenny for a reason. Morgan never could. Eventually, while they were out scavenging, Duane got cornered. And he couldn't either. Jenny killed Duane."

"Damn." Daryl breathed shortly and shook his head.

"Obviously already got that one covered." I winked and they both rolled their eyes.

"Alright, how did I get to Atlanta?" Rick wanted to continue on with the story.

"Same way we did. The horse. Problem was, you didn't pay attention and rode that horse into a huge herd. You got cornered and somehow made it into a tank. There was something about you getting distracted by a helicopter, but all I've got on that are theories. Not worth going over. Glenn watched it all happen from a rooftop and was able to navigate you to safety with his CB. But, you had to leave the bag of guns on the ground by the tank. You met the whole gang just as you did this time, and handcuffed Merle to the roof after he insulted and beat the stuffing out of T-Dog." I heard a small growl of simmering discontent come Daryl, glaring at the back of Rick's head from his spot on the floor.

"Cool it with the growling, Ghost Rider. Your brother deserved the handcuffing. He would have killed someone, or everyone. He was the one stupid enough to go into Atlanta high out of his damn mind. I get everyone has to cope with Armageddon in their own ways but that's just damn foolish." I finished deadpan. Daryl's anger is replaced with confusion.

"How many nicknames you got for me that don't make any damn sense?" I smirked evilly.

"As many as I want until I can't think of any more, Macmanus." I winked again and he shook his head. I decided that that was as good a time as any to continue the story.