Chapter 3: Ebott City High

I groan in annoyance as I hit the snooze button on my alarm. Today was the first day of school. The past week was uneventful. Chara spent a fair bit of time to herself, and I did the same. She seemed to have a lot on her mind most of the time, so I didn't really want to bother her. The last thing I wished to do was annoy her away after she came to the surface.

I got myself ready for school quickly before leaving my room, getting startled by Chara, who was standing right outside my room. "Greetings." She says, smiling a bit.

"Do you just sit here and wait for me to wake up?" I question, curious. She shrugs and floats slightly off the ground as I walk towards the kitchen to grab something quick for breakfast. "There's not much else better to do." She replies, splitting off to lay on the couch. "Why are you up so early anyway?"

Oh, I guess I forgot to tell her. "The new school year starts today. I forgot to mention it, did you want to stay here? I know you probably wouldn't want to be around other people." I ask as I look over to her from what I was doing.

"I'll come with you. Beats sitting around here all day." Chara replies, getting up and walking off towards her room, I assume to get ready for the day. I'm surprised she wanted to accompany me, but at least it'll mean I've got someone to talk to.

*

Chara made herself invisible to everyone but me to avoid any unwanted attention or interaction. The walk to school was fairly short and uneventful. I lived about 10 minutes from the school, so I always walked. Normally, Frisk would walk with me, but she's been avoiding me lately. I still don't quite understand why Frisk and Sans acted the way they did, but I imagine one day someone will tell me.

As soon as we entered the school, my ears were bombarded with students conversing with each other. Everyone quieted down as the announcements came on. As I assumed, it was just some of the usual 'Welcome back. I hope you had a great summer!' stuff, I just ignored it.

Until Chara tapped me on the shoulder and pointed towards the speaker. "... I repeat, all junior and senior students will be heading to the auditorium before classes start. Thank you, and have a nice day." And the PA hung up.

"I wonder what that's about." I wonder aloud. "I heard we'll be learning magic this year." A kid next to me says before walking off. That could be fun. I look to Chara, and she shrugs.

*

I did as the announcement instructed and made my way towards the auditorium first. It wasn't as packed as it would have been had they tried to fit all years in the auditorium, but it was fairly packed. As I made my way through people to find a seat, I felt something grab my arm and turned to see what it was.

Chara was holding on to my forearm as I moved through the crowd, presumably not to lose me. I guess since I can see her, I can technicly interact with her, but no one else could. That'd explain why people were just phasing through her.

I find an empty corner in the rows of seats and claim two seats, one for me and one for Chara. After a few minutes, the crowd began to quiet down as the principal took the stage.

He was a somewhat older man with a few grey hairs. He always wore a nice suit like he was going to a business meeting.

"Welcome, students! I'm sure you're all eager to start the new year, and so am I, but first, I wanted to clarify a rumor. Some of you may have heard that we are going to start teaching magic this year, and that is correct! The school board and I thought it would be best to teach students in the later years how to use magic the right way, so no one gets hurt experimenting. Magic is incredibly dangerous, but it could also bring many benefits. We will also be teaching about the history of magic..." At that point, I began to tune him out a little bit as I looked around the room. Leave it to a principal to make learning magic sound so boring.

I start paying attention again when he shows schedules on the board. "As you can see, Juniors will have magic classes in the morning, and seniors will have them in the afternoon." So I'll have magic class after this, awesome!

*

Magic classes would take up half the school day, with the days alternating on an A and B schedule where A days would have actual magic class, and B days would have magic history classes. According to the schedules, Undyne and Papyrus would be teaching the actual magic class, while Dr. Alphys would be teaching the magic history class.

Papyrus being a teacher ought to be interesting. I never really talked to Undyne or Alphys that much when I saw them when I'd visit Frisk. Speaking of Frisk, I wonder where she is.

Me and Chara walked down the hall towards the gym, where the magic classes were going to be. It's probably because it's the only room in the school that could handle magic.

"So, do you know any magic?" Chara asks, looking at me as she floated along. "Nope. I still don't know my soul trait, so this class will be interesting." I reply. No one was in the hall, so I didn't worry about people seeing me talk to the air.

We head into the gym, and I take a seat on the benches with the rest of the class while we wait for Undyne and Papyrus. After about 3 minutes, Undyne, Papyrus, and Frisk all walked into the gym. It makes sense that Frisk would be here, as she was probably the best person I knew when it came to magic.

"Alright, punks! Settle down!" Undyne's voice booms to get the class to shut up. "UNDYNE AND FRISK AND I WILL BE TEACHING YOU HUMANS MAGIC!" Papyrus says, talking in his 'normal' voice, which I had learned from my time hanging out with Sans that it was pretty much as quiet as he could be. I waved to Frisk when she looked over at me, but her eyes widened as she stared next to me. I looked where she was looking and realize what she was staring at.

She was staring right at Chara.

This was going to be interesting.

*
(Heyo, even though this and the last chapter only add up to some 2 thousand words and it's only 2 chapters, and not the 3 I said I'd post at a time, I wanted to get them out anyway. I write as a hobby, which tends to lead to not writing for a few days at a time (sometimes cause I forget to lol), so for the sake of this book not dying due to time between posts, I think I'll begin to post as each chapter is complete. Hope you enjoy it, and please leave feedback if you have any!)