02 ⇢ 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙱𝚘𝚢 𝙸𝚗 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙰𝚝𝚝𝚒𝚌

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╗

- Harley's POV -

It was a crowd of children I had given candy to later, and I felt tired. I sighed, setting the bowl of candy onto the counter as I decided to jot down a sign.

Take one! Happy Halloween. I wrote down and stuck it with tape onto the front door. I set the bowl of candy out onto the porch and closed the door behind me.

Roaming into the kitchen, I grabbed the box of cheez-it's and ate some as I leaned on the counter.

There was definitely this sense of new house blues that I couldn't shake, and though I felt like I was lying to myself, I couldn't shake the next feeling that was coming on of a memory that didn't stray too far away. It was of the time I was twelve when I first felt this unsettling feeling that couldn't quite be explained in words. Perhaps it was more than words; that unshaken feeling.

In my old green fairy-like house, in downtown New York, I encountered a spirit of a young Latino boy who was looking for his toys, but couldn't find them. I felt my heart break, and all I wanted to do was help him find them. I ended up searching the entire house for him, only to find nothing. Once I went back outside into the front yard to tell him there was no luck, and I couldn't find any toys that didn't already belong to me, the spirit of the boy vanished into the wind. He was gone. It was a mixture of feelings; from this unknown sadness, to this oncoming unsettlement of a sudden drop in degrees. The air would be chillier than usual.

And I knew I wasn't going insane right now, when I suddenly felt the temperature drop lower than usual and goosebumps rose on my fair skin. I decided to have a look for myself. I set the box of cheez-it's on the counter until I roamed further into the new house.

Taking a breath, I rubbed my arm, trying to make the goosebumps subside upon no luck. I looked around curiously, walking down the hallway.

I then checked upstairs, and even went down into the basement.

There's no one here, Harley. I subconsciously heard myself speak. I was about to take a sigh of relief before I found myself walking into the hallway again, feeling drawn.

That's it. I was a psychic, I had to be. Though it was never something I saw as a gift. If anything, a remorse for not being normal.

I gasped when I noticed the stairway of the attic rolled down.

It could've been mom earlier, Harley. I subconsciously told myself again, though it sounded more so that I was trying to grip onto my sanity here.

"What the hell." I muttered, furrowing my eyebrows in focus and in wonder. I began my ascendancy on the staircase, climbing up slowly.

I popped my head up quickly in alertness as my curls bounced. "H-hello?" I stuttered when I saw no one at the entrance.

In tears, I knew I was definitely losing grip. I was about to accept that I was definitely losing my mind, that is until I went further into the attic. The light was on at the end of one of the corridors, as I spotted a white boy in a knit grey and dark blue sweater rummaging through one of the boxes on the shelves.

"Hey." I called out to him in a blurt, as I froze in place.

"O-oh. Oh! Hi. Hi, I... I know this is weird. Isn't this weird? Wait... You can see me!"

And he speaks.

"I meant hey, as in what do you think you're doing?" I spoke in alarm. "I'm calling the cops."

"You don't wanna do that. Look, you don't understand."

"Do I not understand? You're trespassing, here buddy... And I caught you redhanded!" I was about to laugh maniacally, before in a blink of an eye, he had disappeared into thin air.

I gasped, as my lips fell agape. I was speechless.

He was a spirit... A teen spirit.

He appeared again, this time next to me. I looked over my shoulder, just to find him again.

"You passed away." I spoke softly, just knowing so.

"Yes. I'm sorry. No, I didn't mean to scare you. Look, I'm River. River Phoenix. I hope that makes things better."

"I never said I was afraid of you, River. Okay, River Phoenix? What are you doing here, are you lost?" I asked him. The space between us was thin. "And I'm Harley. Harley Parker." I replied in a dumbfounded tone.

"Well no, Harley Parker. I don't feel lost, well now that you can see me. You see, I lived here in the year of 1990. And I mean no harm, I'm just looking for a family photo, that's all." He said in a calm tone.

"A family... Photo." I affirmed softly, feeling faint.

Suddenly, I feel everything go dark and I lose grip of my consciousness.

╚═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╝