38

The door to the room bursts open and a shrill cackling is all I can hear as I wake suddenly. Mattheo's arms tightened around me. He pulled me into his lap and as his mothers face filled the once serene space, he sneered at her.

"There he is!" She speaks suddenly as she moves around the space erratically.

Mattheo doesn't speak to her, he stands from the bed quickly. Holding his stance strong.

"Itty Bitty Dark Lord." She smiles so wide it almost splits her face and then grabs for him. The glittering purple shield of the Protego spell erupts around Matty.

I stand from the bed behind Matty, more than prepared to help if this goes sideways.

"Now boy, that wasn't very nice." She wrenches her hand back to her body and cradles it. "Daddy dearest has sent for you and your little..." She glances around Mattheo's hard glare and locks eyes with me. Her gaze narrows and she decides on a word to describe me, "Thing." She chuckles at her work.

I grab Mattheo's arm as he grunts at her in disgust. He stops as I tug his arm back towards me. I know that hurting his mother is something he would regret, not to mention how much the Dark Lord would punish him for it.

"Come on then!" We discover then that we don't really have a choice. Our feet begin to move as she leaves the room and we stop in front of the same room we were dragged from yesterday.

As I enter the room against my better judgement and will, I discover the enchantment that fills the once bleak space.

The sky is an eery shade of yellow, like a storm is brewing somewhere in the distance. There are a row of seats that give the audience of Death Eaters a clear view of what I can only describe as an arena. It has deep set walls to ensure the things or people inside can't escape. As I slowly take in the sight before me I hear Bellatrix speak again.

"Break a neck!" Her tone is ecstatic and she slaps the door closed after shoving Matty through.

I scan the crowd but see none of my family and that makes perfect sense. They couldn't even come to this.

"I won't let anything bad happen to you, Princess." Mattheo takes my hand and holds the back of my head with the other. He touches our foreheads together and lightly kisses my lips.

I am at an unfortunate loss for words and I can feel myself getting choked up at the possibility of having to say goodbye to this man in front of me. The boy I have always wanted, always cared for.

I cough just once to clear my throat as tears fall and I whisper into the space between us, "I would choose you in every life time Matty."

He reels back so quickly I'm surprised he doesn't get whiplash to watch me. Check that I'm telling the truth.

The idea that Mattheo had been someone's first choice. That he was really loved and cared for hurt him. Hurt him so bad he almost broke down in front of everyone. He reached for me again but the ground rattled under us and a deep, dark laugh severed the moment.

He yelled something over to me as we were both levitated and dropped into the arena at the deafening sound of the Dark Lord cackling.

"How touching," His twisted voice was overly amused as both Mattheo and I clawed at the restraints that held us trying to get to each other. "Forbidden love," He chuckles again, "Has it ever tasted so sweet." His full belly laugh was echoed by the audience of loyal followers.

"The first trial is simple... Escape!" as the last word left his mouth a pillar of sandstone shot from the ground and almost took my arm off.

The spell that held my feet firm shattered and sprinkled to the ground. The sky was also gone, replaced by the same material as the wall.

I assumed that I was now in some type of maze, like a fucked up version of the final trial in the Triwizard Tournament. When he'd rose to power and killed Cedric Diggory.

I knew Cedric, and like everyone that knew him, I had always thought he was so nice and kind.

I huff as I decide that This first trial wouldn't be what stopped me from gaining my freedom. I had to get to Mattheo.

I take a step forward and sand showered down upon me as I did, I held my arm in front of my face to shield my eyes from the spray. As it settled, I saw the pedestal that had caused the eruption of sand.

It held my wand and a large knife. A strange thing to give a young wizard on account of us always using spells, but I'd take all the help I could get.

I tuck the knife into the waist band of my shorts but hold my wand tight in my right hand.

I walk quickly to the end of the path in front of me then go right, then right again at the end of that path. I remember that when trying to escape a maze, pick a direction and only turn that direction, that was you can't really back track.

This maze however, was magic. It could be enchanted and move around when it's out of sight. I stop dead when I hear rapid footsteps.

Non-human footsteps.

They're approaching from in front of my and so, I plant my feet and brandish my wand.

I am done running.