Chapter 1-1: Fired

Eldon Jimary

Eldon Jimary

In the subdued glow of my room, I'm engrossed in a game of Valorant with my online friends. On my desk, an opened bottle of Coke sits along with a bag of potato chips. In front of me, I have two monitors attached to my PC-One dedicated to the game and the other playing YouTube videos. The glow from the screens is the only source of illumination.

It's not night, mind you. I simply prefer the dark. The curtains are perpetually drawn and the door remains closed unless I have to enter or leave the room.

Some might argue that I'm too long in the tooth for these games and this carefree life. But as long as Aurelia Markz, my girlfriend, is by my side, I see no reason to alter my course.

Aurelia... we crossed paths during high school. Had I chosen to further my education, perhaps other faces would have entered my life. But the education system, in my view, is a futile exercise in rote learning, a task better suited to the internet. But, of course, surgeons can't watch tutorials mid-surgery.

The sound of the front door intrudes upon my thoughts. "Gotta bounce, guys. We'll pick this up tomorrow."

"Alright, see ya, Eldon," they respond.

I remove my headphones and stand up from my chair, stretching my limbs. The cracking of my bones echoes in the silence as if I've awoken from a thousand years of sleep.

As I approach it, the door to my room swings open. The harsh light from outside assaults my eyes, rendering me momentarily blind. I shield my eyes with my hands as the room's lights flicker on. My eyes sting, and all I see are dancing specks of light.

"Hey," a soft, feminine voice greets me.

As my eyes adjust, I take in the sight of her. A beautiful young woman with waves of rich chestnut hair and emerald green eyes that wrap me in an air of comfort. She's clad in a loose bittersweet sweater over a black tee and her legs are hidden by dual-colored jeans - one side sky blue, the other dark.

"Hey, Aure. How'd your day go?" I ask, studying her face. There's something different about her today. Normally, after a grueling day at work, she'd enter my room, and jump to bed for sleep. But today, she merely stands there, a hint of a frown etched on her face.

"I think we should discuss this later, okay?" she says, exiting the room.

I trail behind her to the kitchen where she fills a glass with water and drinks.

"Dinner's ready if you're hungry," I offer, opening the fridge.

"Do you think I should eat something?" she asks, meeting my gaze.

"Yeah, why not."

At the dinner table, she sits opposite to me. in front of me on the other side of the table. Her younger brother, Liam Markz, sits beside me. We dine on mac and cheese.