ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙 - 𝕊𝕙𝕖𝕝𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕖𝕕 ℍ𝕠𝕡𝕖𝕤

Year 3 after the Cataclysm. Cologne, NRW, Germany

Huddled in the corner of a crumbling building, I watched them from the shadows – my sister, our friends, and a handful of survivors.

Their laughter, a sound so rare and precious in these times, wove through the cool night air, brightening the atmosphere of our shelter. It was a celebration after a successful hunt, full of dusty bottles of alcohol and large pieces of rough meat.

We could occasionally treat ourselves to this luxury when the haul was particularly large, albeit it was not often. I sometimes thought it was a waste of resources, but seeing my sister's happiness always made me reconsider.

"And then... I let out a scream and unleashed a nuclear blast of fire, obliterating all of the 100-meter monstrosities!"

Erwin raised his hands just like in the story, drawing amused responses from the group.

"Erwin, I am pretty sure those 'nuclear blasts' can't even burn real paper with your gift," Zoe, my sister, teased him a little.

"Blasphemy! I am clearly the strongest, most handsome member –"

"Aiden, come and join us!" Mia's voice cut through his bragging. "Don't lurk in the shadows all night like a lizard!"

I hesitated, feeling comfortable within the familiar safety of my own company. Yet, the warmth in her voice was like a tug against the isolated bubble I often wrapped myself in.

With a sigh of surrender, I removed my hands from the pockets of my jacket and stepped into the light. A chorus of greetings began right away, making me blush like a rookie celebrity.

"Took you long enough," my sister joked, her eyes twinkling with mirth.

"I was... just enjoying the view."

"You mean brooding in the corner?" Erwin quipped, earning a round of laughter from the group.

I smiled in spite of myself; their joy was infectious, and the savory wafts of sizzling meat were starting to make me salivate.

"Maybe a little," I conceded.

"A little my arse, we both know your puberty is acting up at the age of 25, making you feel like that cool, mysterious dude who leans against the wall with a cigarette in his mouth."

With a quick motion, I buried his head in my arm as my mouth quivered ever so slightly.

"Say that again, you twerp. You should know I don't even smoke."

Mia pointed at Erwin as she tried her hardest to hold back her laughter, his face turning as red as a tomato under my headlock.

I listened to their chatter, contributing when I could, but a part of me remained detached, my thoughts wandering. Every single day, I questioned myself if Zoe would ever feel tired of struggling in this forsaken land, abandoning me to a fate of being alone.

My 'gift' of self-healing was a blessing during dangerous times, but it was also a chasm between myself and everyone around me. My mind kept wandering to "what if" scenarios, even as they joyfully embraced each moment, making the most of the blessings and misfortunes that came their way.

What if I had taken that lethal strike to the lungs?

What if I had placed my arm in front of the infected's rotting teeth?

What if it was me?

"I saw you today," Zoe murmured, leaning in close. "You're always out there. Putting yourself at risk."