Prologue: Part 1

Ceremony Breaking/A Dismissive Ranking

short chapter, next ones long tho i think

-<>-

"We're done with orientation and dorm assignments?" Riddle, the Housewarden of Heartslabyul, rhetorically asks the other Housewardens who want to do anything but be here. "All right, new students- let me be clear. At Heartslabyul House, I am the law. Break the rules, and it's off with your head!" The other housewardens (and you who was a temporary stand in until either your housewarden or vice housewarden showed up) took Riddles initiative as a cue to gather their own new students as well. Leonas ears twitch underneath the hood of his robe as he lets out a loud yawn, not bothering to cover his mouth with his hand causing the Pomefiore housewarden standing next to him to eye him with irritation and disgust. "Well, that ceremony was as boring as ever. I'm going back to the dorm. If you're in Savanaclaw House, follow me."
"New students! Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your achievement. As dorm leader of Octavinelle House, I am honored to have to the opportunity to support you in what I hope will be a fulfilling campus experience."
"All right, everyone from Diasomnia and Ignihyde come over here, the Housewarden or Vice Housewarden should be showing up soon."
"Thanks, [Name].." The tablet in your hands mutters to you as students from both dorms make their way to stand behind you. All the other new students are scrambling around to find their respective housewardens as well. Watching all of his new housemates form a crowd behind him, Vil looks around the room. "Hey, does anyone know where the headmage went? He disappeared midway through the ceremony..."

"Some headmage he is."

"Maybe he had a tummyache?"

Just then, the doors slam open to reveal the Headmage, Dire Crowley. In his hand was a whip holding some type of.. cat? and a student following in behind them who kept their head down making it unable for anyone to discern their features. "I most certainly did not!"

"Ah, speak of the devil."

"If you must know, I was searching for the new student who'd failed to show for orientation." Crowley then turns to the student hiding behind him. "You are the only one who has yet to be assigned a dorm." Crowley uses his free hand to grab the students shoulder, giving them a nudge forward. "Step up to the Dark Mirror, and be quick about it. I'll watch your weasel." Said weasel starts thrashing in his tight hold, obviously agitated at what Crowley said.

"State your name."

"I'm Yuu..."

"Yuu... The nature of your soul is.. unclear to me."

.....

"What did you just say?" Everyone in the room is noticeably stunned, the Dark Mirror has never once described someones soul as "unclear".

"I sense no magical power from this one. Soundless. Colorless. Shapeless. Utterly vacant. Therefore, no dorm would be appropriate."

'Magicless means defenseless.. I think I just found new prey.'
Gasps echo around the Mirror Chamber, rumors already spreading throughout the student body. Even Crowley was surprised at the new turn of events, sputtering out "Are you suggesting that the black carriage went to receive a person who cannot even use magic? But that is absurd! The student selection process has not erred once in its century of existence!" Crowleys fingers unintentionally loosen their grip on his whip as he mutters to himself, trying to figure out what could've possibly went wrong. Taking this moment, the weasel squirms until hes free. The second his little paws hit the ground, the creature hops around, waving his paws in the air trying to catch the attention of the Headmage, "ME! Let ME have this student's seat!"
"Not so fast, you hyperactive weasel!" Crowley readjusts his grip around his whip as he gets ready to strike and capture the furball again.
"Unlike that human, I can actually use magic! So let me be a student here!" But the headmage ignores him, instead attempting to land a strike on the weasel who lets out a horrified screech, barely dodging the attack. Scrambling to get his recognition, the cat thing runs around the room to get away from Crowley, dodging and weaving between the students. "Look, I'll show you! My spells're the cat's meow!"