Chapter 25

As he vowed to do, Richard succeeded in hastening our wedding. Just three short days after our declarations to each other, we were married.

In addition to the joy I felt, finally being able to take this step, it had been so sudden that there wasn't time for an elaborate affair.

Of course, Charlotte and her mother were very disappointed that it was so intimate - only a handful of people attended the small, but still elegant event - but I was happy. I had no desire to be married with hundreds of virtual strangers watching me. To be honest, I'd have preferred even fewer guests than were actually there. The only people I really wanted celebrating with us were our families, and mine was an impossibility.

There was a short service and reception in the ballroom, which had been completely transformed since the ball three days prior, and then Richard swept me away to a waiting carriage outside.

It was a total surprise to me that we were going anywhere at all, so I wouldn't have known what to expect anyway. But when the driver directed the horses to pull us behind the house, rather than toward the front gate, I was confused.

At least, I was confused until I realized that a cottage awaited us at the end of our journey, a few miles away.

Just how big was this property?

The carriage came to a stop in front of the cottage and Richard jumped to the ground before offering his arms to lift me down.

"What do you think?" He was as carefree as I'd ever seen.

This house was so different from the one we just left. It was large and elaborate for a cottage, but nothing rivaling the opulence of the main house. It was two floors, entirely covered in brick with a porch wrapped all the way around the building, and a picturesque little white fence surrounding it all. It wasn't very similar to my family's home, but it had the same cozy feel. I was able to picture myself living here much easier than in the grand mansion we left behind.

I smiled broadly. "I love it."

He mirrored my grin and out of nowhere, swept his arm behind my knees, knocking me off my feet and into his arms.

"What are you doing?" I laughed, clinging to his neck.

"Tradition," he said, striding toward the front door. "This isn't our permanent home, but it will serve that purpose for the next several weeks. I have to carry you across the threshold."

"Weeks?" I asked, delighted by the prospect of living like a normal newlywed couple for so long, with only the two of us in residence and without him having to leave every day to work.

"Tradition," he said again, approaching the door that was opened from the inside. "For people like us, it is expected to take an extended honeymoon. No one would bat an eye if we went away for two or three months. I just can't afford more than about a month away from my duties right now."

People like us. With a satisfied sigh, I thought about those words. We were really married. I was now officially and permanently Richard's wife, and nothing would ever change that - not his mother, not any of the supposed important people who looked down on me, and not even the vile ambassador. I was safe.

Richard carried me through the door and must have thought I looked strange.

"Everything alright?" he asked.

With a nod and a smile, I looked around. We were still in the hall, but I could see plenty already. I knew that every inch of this house would be decorated as elaborately as the main house was. There was even a butler and a few other servants nearby. Still, the cottage was leaps and bounds more intimate and comfortable than the main house.

"Are you sure we couldn't stay here forever?" I tried, only half joking.

Richard grinned. "I truly wish we could."

After a moment, his expression changed and it was clear that his thoughts had shifted to a decidedly more matrimonial subject.

"Lavinia, please ensure that our dinner is sent up at the appropriate time. Otherwise, I want to remain undisturbed." His eyes didn't leave mine as he addressed the woman who must be the cook. It amazed me how Richard was always able to remember the names of each one of the multitude of servants.

My face burned from the implication of his words - after all, dinner was hours away - but I found it impossible to look away from his gaze and barely heard Lavinia acknowledge her orders.

Less than a minute later, we were upstairs in our room, where we happily stayed undisturbed until dinner.