𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮

January 2012

The excitement could practically be tasted in the air. The winter air whipped around you, taking your hair carefully in its invisible hands. You stood in the long queue for the show that you had spent over half a year excited for - You were going to see your favorite band tonight.
Arctic Monkeys.

You had their fourth album on repeat lately, Suck It And See. It was an album that illustrated a tale of deep love, lost love, and love slipping away... Naturally, Alex Turner was an amazing songwriter, and those songs were poetry, despite the line in the titular track "I poured my aching heart into a pop song; I never did get the hang of poetry." Well, that was a bald-faced lie... Yet one couldn't help but wonder if Alex Turner had actually wrote those songs based off of his true feelings - The lovely song Cornerstone wasn't based on a true story - Yet the headlines as of late, had been blasting Alex Turner's personal life, and all it's juicy details... Suck It And See didn't seem so fictional after news of his breakup...

Yet you were the type who didn't really give a shit about what made the music, you just cared about the art. It often felt like Alex Turner soundtracked your life, why would you need to picture those songs being about someone else when you could relate to them? It's the same thing with many other celebrities, like Taylor Swift (Who was releasing a new album this year, and you couldn't be more excited!)... You had been lost in thought the entire time that you were in the queue, daydreaming about this day to finally see your favorite band.

It was slightly nerve-wracking, you were a little scared that the line wouldn't move fast enough for you to get inside on time, and the sun went down, so it was cold in dark - But that's a normal anxious feeling, and it was soon quelled as the groups in front of you went quickly. The queue stretched around the venue, and the fans were so excited... They held signs with lyrics, or asking the band members to marry them, and tons were wearing leather jackets, or had gelled their hair, after Alex Turner's latest look change. He had been known for being a 'cute boy' for years, his hair getting fluffier and fluffier as the years went on - Until at the end of 2011, when he made a drastic change in his style... Gone was the haircut you had dubbed 'Mushroom Head', and now came this biker wannabe, a biker who was acting like he just walked out of the 1950s, as if he would fit in with the characters from a film like The Outsiders. Yet it was an exciting change... You felt like this era was only getting better and better - From interesting music videos that focused on the drummer Matt Helders, to a fake band for B-sides known as 'The Death Ramps', who also did collaborations with Richard Hawley and Miles Kane... And the band just felt more mature and in-tune than ever.

Your hand delicately handed the ticket to the scanner, the greeter outside of the venue. She smiled at you, and wished you a good time. You responded that you knew you would have a great time. And how could this night not be great? You had grabbed an amazing dinner and pint from a downtown pub, were dressed to kill with the coolest, most unique style on this side of town... Makeup that would make anyone jealous of your skills, and beauty that you were aware of, just never flaunted. You were so beautiful, but you never needed someone to validate that for you. But they still did. You complimented several people on the way to your seat, and they all responded sweetly, saying that you looked stunning! That validation was sweet - It was like life was falling into place - Like you could love yourself, and people could love you too, but you didn't *need* it. You were a beautiful person worthy and everything was enough for you.

Like tonight.

You didn't need to grab a drink or food, you were already full, and you really didn't want an emergency bathroom trip to ruin your concert experience or make you miss anything!

Settling into your seat wasn't hard - You had snagged a seat that wasn't exactly the pit, but wasn't the nosebleeds. You had a great view of the stage. The anticipation was killing you, you hadn't even looked up the setlist - You pondered what the opener would be, the finale... You played with the items in your bag, coming to a concert wasn't always the safest, and England wasn't always the safest, but you knew that you lived in a safer area, and you were prepared for anything... The security guards were fine with everything in your clear bag, and you scrolled through your phone, through Tumblr, mindlessly scrolling in anxiety yet excitement.