Chapter 7

In the present day, that haunting memory continued to torment Maria. She rubbed her hand, finding no solace in sleep. The clock showed 11 am, signaling the end of any hope for more rest. Maria let out a deep sigh as she picked up her phone, her mind heavy with the weight of the intricate plan they had set in motion. The imminent meeting between Aurora and Niklaus marked the beginning of a crucial phase, one that demanded swift and precise actions to keep the delicate balance intact. She scrolled through her messages, anticipation building with each passing second. Then, a call from Lucien interrupted her thoughts.

"Hello, Love. Nice work yesterday," Lucien's voice resonated through the phone as he began his report. "The plan unfolded just as we expected, sending both Niklaus into a frenzy. They got wind of the prophecy, but nothing beyond that. No substantial information to concern ourselves with."

Maria couldn't help but chuckle, her amusement evident in her tone. "Yes, yes, the tales of the prophecy – one from a friend, one from a foe, and one from family. I can only guess which category each of you falls into, but I'm more intrigued about the identities of the friend and family in this little tale."

Lucien played along, responding with a hint of mystery, "Ah, that's a question even I don't have the answer to, Love. Regardless, I think it would be fitting for you to join me at my apartment. We ought to celebrate our successful maneuver and perhaps explore some uncharted territories."

Maria smiled, her mind racing with possibilities. "That sounds enticing. I'll make my way to you in half an hour then." As she prepared for the celebration, she chose a sleek and modern dress – not just fashionable, but one that exuded a subtle allure. Having heard whispers of its captivating appeal, she couldn't resist showcasing it for the occasion.

Exiting the elevator at Lucien's place, she began, "Darling~," but her words came to a sudden halt. Her gaze fixed on the man she despised the most, and a surge of anger threatened to overpower her. The desire to lunge at him, to rip his heart out, surged within, yet she held back, frozen in place.

Elijah was equally taken aback, an unexpected encounter throwing him off guard. His eyes involuntarily traced down her figure, an undercurrent of jealousy simmering within him. Yet, he was acutely aware that forgiveness from Maria was a distant hope. The man standing beside Elijah appeared perplexed, breaking the silence with a puzzled inquiry, "Am I supposed to bite her too or..."

Maria's attention snapped back at those words – 'bite' and 'again.' Her eyes darted to Lucien, who was now on the ground, emitting low grunts. In mere seconds, Maria forcefully propelled the confused man against the wall, accusing him with disdain, "You filthy dog..." The man gasped, desperately pleading for air. Reacting swiftly, Elijah intervened, pushing Maria away from the man in a bid to maintain control of the chaotic situation.

Maria scoffed, lunging toward Elijah, "and YOU! Y-YOU DARE TRY AND SHOW YOUR FACE HERE!" Her emotions were a tempest, predominantly anger. The man who had been restrained before, now free, swiftly moved toward Maria, attempting to snap her neck. Maria, however, kicked him back, sending him crashing into the wall. "You bloody dog, stay out of this," she sneered.

Elijah stood frozen, conflicted. Ordinarily, he would have retaliated against any vampire who dared to treat him this way. However, he couldn't afford to act impulsively. Losing her again was not an option he was willing to entertain.

Lucien, still on the ground, sensed the thick tension in the air. Feeling compelled to diffuse the situation, he interjected, "Hey, sorry to interrupt you two, but Maria, if you could help me up, that would be lovely."

Maria let out a heavy sigh, her steps guided her toward Lucien's aid. She desperately wanted to ignore Elijah, to erase him from her existence. The conflicting emotions within her, the surge of memories, the desire to end it all—it was overwhelming. But she had made a vow to herself, a solemn promise to remain strong in the face of adversity. Turning off her emotions was not an option.