The Chance Encounter

Lost in the labyrinth of his thoughts, Alex pondered the tumultuous whirlwind his life had become. The weight of his corporate responsibilities bore down on him heavily, complicating the lingering tension with his grandmother. He hasn't seen her in more than a month. Guilt crept in as he realized it had been far too long since he last visited her.

Sighing deeply, he rubbed his temples, questioning the choices that had led him to this moment. How could he convince his grandmother's heart to accept his fiancée?

Fiancée.

A soft smile graced his lips as he reminisced about her, their last encounter before she departed for yet another business venture with her father. Their time together had been brief but filled with passion. 

Evidently, their evening was limited to cocktails and having some rough sex. Just the way she likes it. These days, he hardly ever sees her in their shared apartment; overshadowed by the demands of their respective family enterprises.

Rebecca had entered his life unexpectedly at his cousin's wedding, they were both by themselves, and they simply spent the evening drinking.

They began going out late at night, which led to them becoming fuck buddies, and he hasn't heard any complaints from her yet. Their rendezvous had evolved into a physical connection devoid of emotional entanglements, perfectly suiting both of their needs. 

When his grandmother expressed her desire for him to settle down, he impulsively proposed to Rebecca, and she accepted without hesitation. Yet he finds it baffling why his grandmother despises Rebecca. 

His reverie was abruptly shattered by the shrill ringtone of his phone, announcing Rebecca's call.

"Hi, babe. I've just been thinking of you and here you are, calling me." Alex greeted eagerly.

"Hi, Alex.  I called to tell you that I won't be able to accompany you to Bob Paris' party. My dad insists on extending our stay here," Rebecca explained with a hint of remorse.

"Bob's party is fast approaching. You'll stay there that long?" Alex tried not to show a hint of disappointment in his voice. 

"Unfortunately, there's been a problem with the contract signing but Dad insists on getting this deal. I'm sorry, babe." Rebecca replied with a sigh.

Suppressing his disappointment, Alex reassured her, "That's alright, babe. I wasn't particularly keen on attending anyway. We'll catch up when you're back."

A pregnant pause ensued before Rebecca spoke again, her tone distant. "But Bob Paris is expecting you, and Zack will be there, so…"

Alex can hear murmurs of conversation in Rebecca's line," You know what Alex, I have to go now. Dad needs me to attend something. Gotta go, bye." 

Rebecca hurriedly said and before Alex could respond, Rebecca abruptly terminated the call, leaving him bewildered and deflated.

"Yeah, I miss you too," he murmured to himself wistfully, gazing at his phone screen.

With a heavy heart, he dialed another number, seeking solace in the company of a friend.

"Hey, it's Alex. Are you free tonight? How about we grab a drink at that new bar?"

Later that evening, Alex finally arrived at the bustling bar, struggling to find a parking spot amidst the throng of cars. It was evident that the newly opened establishment had already become a popular hotspot. 

Nodding to the burly bouncer stationed at the entrance, Alex made his way through the pulsating crowd, navigating through the cacophony of music and the aroma of mixed drinks, until he spotted a lone figure at a table.