Pretty pink barista lady. // Chapter 5

Their sleeping quarters were above their lab. Both he and Subspace slept in two separate rooms most of the time. Sometimes, Medkit searched for him through the darkness when nights were colder. There was no better warmth than Subspace's arms.

He recalled a colder, snowy night. He was woken by soft breaths right by his cheek. Medkit stirred and glanced up at the teary-eyed demon above him.

"Subspace?" Medkit muttered, rubbing his eyes and sitting up.

"What? What is it?"

Medkit's hand went up to wipe his tears.

Subspace dug his upper canines into his bottom lip to keep himself from crying.

"It's okay," Medkit gently spoke.

Medkit wasn't good at coming up with comforting words.

"Shit..." Subspace started as he wiped away the tears that started pouring from his eyes.

Subspace got up onto Medkit's bed.

Medkit was quick to bring the other male into a gentle embrace, resting his chin on his head.

"Shit, I'm sorry, Med's. I'm so sorry," Subspace cried.

Medkit could feel a heavy weight in his chest as he rubbed circles into the other's back.

"What? Did something happen?"

Medkit once again searched for clarification.

"My dream," Subspace hiccuped.

Medkit got his breath back, suddenly feeling a wave of relief.

"Fuck, I couldn't even, I couldn't even do anything 'kit," Subspace pulled away. Wiping his face with the blanket instead of Medkit's shirt.

"I don't even... Something happened and you- they took you away. I was so scared, I didn't know what was going to happen to you. All I could do was hit and kick them but like a wall, they didn't even budge. I felt so useless," Subspace sobbed.

"Promise me you're never gonna fuckin- fucking do anything illegal or like... I don't even know- like kill somebody! okay? I need you Medkit."

"No. I don't think I ever could," Medkit responded.

His answer was not a comforting one, but by the way Subspace's expression shifted, it was enough.

"I'm sorry. You were probably sleeping weren't you?"

"Yeah, but it's fine. You scared me."

Subspace wrapped his arms around Medkit and leaned his head into his stomach.

"I scared myself."

Subspace's voice muffled through the fabric of his shirt.

"Sometimes dreams feel too real for me. Even the good ones. When I wake up I feel disappointed that something like that didn't happen," Subspace muttered.

"What are your dreams like Meddy?"

_________

Since Medkit woke up early he had been working on a new diagram for his crystal prototype. He had a wall where he pinned his papers up with tacs. He wrote most of his extra notes onto sticky notes and attached them, it looked like a scene in a police movie.

It wasn't until he started chemically engineering it, that he started recognizing his mistakes in the previous data. Without using a lot of the supplies Blackrock had on hand most of the time he had to make do with what he could find.

This means that using different sources of magic and their holders caused issues with the crystal's stability. It wasn't long until when he tried mixing his first test of two liquids went wrong.