Chapter 1: The Regrets

Asha had always been a practical girl, or at least that's what she liked to believe. Yet she couldn't help but feel as if she'd been venturing down an uncertain path the day she'd answered King Magnifico's summon.

Well, to be honest, it wasn't much of a summon.

It was more that Asha had requested to see the king, and he had finally answered a month after, which she'd been informed had been record time for him.

The day had been overcast when she'd arrived at the castle, but the warmth of the servants and staff had more than made up for it as they'd offered her food and shelter while she waited to have an audience with the king. He and his queen had been in meetings with his advisor all morning, a helpful maid had informed her. She wasn't quite certain what they were talking about, but she was more than willing to bet that it had something to do with the economics, given the muffled yells and sighs she could make out through the throne room doors.

After what had felt like an eternity, she'd seen the advisors slink out of the throne room, none quite appearing too happy as a messenger followed, advising she wait a bit before seeing the king to at least give the royal couple a chance to 'cool things off.'

She hadn't bothered arguing with said advice, of course. In her earliest memories, she could remember seeing the king whenever she'd visit her father who worked in the castle. He'd always seemed rather nice then, 'nice but distant' if Asha could summarize him. But the yelling she'd heard take place in that room had sounded all but nice, and if she wanted to get this she'd needed him to be at least in somewhat of a good mood.

Finally, the messenger had re-appeared, an air of formality surrounding him as he'd informed her that the king and queen were ready to have an audience with her.

Her.

Asha.

'Was it too late to back out?' said a voice that had always made itself heard when she was on the verge of getting into trouble, but Asha was quite certain she wasn't getting into trouble here. No, she was doing the right thing, that much she was sure of. She was just nervous, she told herself, something that was only natural to feel on your first summons.

Fighting down the nerves she'd nodded, as she rose to her feet, quickly and quietly mentally rehearsing all the things she had the previous nights. She'd been so deep in thought that she'd nearly not heard the sound of the throne room's doors opening as the scene of the throne room overtook her.

The hall appeared just as lovely as it had the last time Asha had been here, with elaborate decorations, windows, and tapestries adorning the throne where the royal pair sat. Nothing had changed, nothing save for the absence of the nobles, and the mourning robes she now wore. She'd arrived early today, as her grandfather had told her that it was always better to be earlier with royals than late, something she didn't quite doubt given how distant the king seemed to be...

The king had no doubt been kind to them the day her father and grandmother had passed. He'd seen to it that the funeral expenses had been paid for and that her mother's clientele had grown far more powerful than it had been before. He'd even given her mother and grandmother the chance to make another wish, something that had been unheard of, before now. But Asha had no doubt, that just like any other king there were limitations to said kindness, limitations she hoped she hadn't been risking the day she'd requested this audience.

"Greetings, Asha!" the king's voice emerged from the other end of the hall, as he adjusted his grip on the staff in his hand, gesturing for her to come forward. "How's the family doing? I heard your grandfather made his second wish yesterday, correct?"

"We've been well your Highness, and yes, my grandfather did make his second wish," she says while giving the royal pair a curtsy. For a split second, a part of her debated asking him what the wish was- as her grandfather had been rather secretive about it, but she knew better than to do so. Barging in to ask about her grandfather's wish would only make her seem entitled, petulant even, and if she wanted to get what she'd come for then she'd need to look anything but.