Chapter 16

"I can not believe he left without me." I say. It's the day after I was supposed to leave with the attack group. The day after James ditched me like the jerk he is.

"I can." chimes in Gregorio. Yeah, I know. Gregorio. The last person on earth I want to talk to right now. None the less, I've spent the last eighteen hours with him, waiting for James to come back so I can yell at him for abandoning me in this shit hole. "I mean," Gregorio continues "did you really think he would take you? A sixteen year old girl? I didn't."

"Oh whatever," I say, rolling my eyes "I'm bored."

"Then go entertain yourself." says Gregorio, not even bothering to look at me.

I huff as I hop down from my bar stool and stroll towards the stairs. I walk up three, but then jump back down, turning back around to face Gregorio. "Hey Gregorio! Where's the white paint?" I ask.

"Where the rest of the paint is." he says.

"Oh, right." I say. I go to the back room and take a can of pure white paint. I then walk all the way up the stairs. When I reach the top floor I open the door and put the paint down. I look around and see that James had already brought up the rest of the supplies, which is good because there is no way in hell I am going up all of those stairs again. I grab one of the tarps and lay it on the floor against the wall. Next I grab the paint, a stir stick and a brush and lay the mall out I front of me. After five minutes of trying to figure out how to open the paint can, the lid pops off and I stir the thick white liquid with the stick. I reach around, grab a tray, pour some paint in and get to work.

I work for hours, alternating between using the brush and roller. When I finally finish I go to sit in the middle of the room and admire my work. I'm looking at the walls I have just finished painting and am thinking about second coats when I hear loud noises coming from the bar downstairs. I stand up and walk towards the door. James is going to die.