Chapter 5: Behind the Third Floor Window

Nick had also been born to loving parents, He was quite beautiful, with an oval face, a full head of thick black hair, and golden brown eyes that were wide and instantly curious about everything, especially in the natural world. He was reserved and polite and acted like he had been starved for knowledge and instilled with a passion to learn. His father was the CEO of the family's very large and very successful investment firm. The job kept him away at Nick's birth and for many of his childhood events. He loved his father and was in awe of him. 

His mother was devoted to her brilliant and serious young child. She spent as much time with him as possible and never missed his birthday or the holidays, but her duties as a CEO's beautiful wife with incredible social skills called her away more often than she liked. She had been born in Beijing and came to America to study at The University of Colorado. She fell instantly in love with the wealthy skier /student and her parents relented to their engagement as soon as they verified the match in wealth and social standing as equal to their daughter's. This was a blessing because, for the first time in her life, the young woman had put her foot down and refused their orders to return home and marry one of her countrymen.

He had excellent nannies and tutors and was homeschooled as other young heirs were before a suitable school could be chosen. The thought of school was exciting to Nick. He longed to make friends and maybe play a group sport like soccer or baseball. Perhaps learn an instrument and play in a school band.

 The instructors who came to the house were nice enough. He had learned tennis and could swim like a fish. There was a complete work-out room at home and an instructor for that as well, who also took him jogging in the park nearby and taught him self-defense

It changed for Nick at the age of seven, just before his first year at school. Mother and Father had made plans to take him on his first trip to a major event. He had been outfitted for his first grown-up suit, and an etiquette teacher had schooled him closely for weeks. The private jet was readied and then suddenly, Nick became sick with a cold. Plans changed, and he remembered feeling even worse as they kissed his forehead goodbye.  Mother reassured him that she would fly back immediately if he got worse, but that Nanny would take extra-good care of him. He had had colds before while they were gone, so Nick did not mind much. It meant extra chocolate ice cream for the boy. However, he was disappointed at missing his first gala with his parents. The meds had made him drowsy and almost before they pulled out for the airport, he had nodded off, warm and safe in his bed.

He woke two hours later into the evening to the sound of weeping. Frightened, he opened the door, only to find his Uncle Evan standing outside in the hall. He was tall, austere, and gaunt, and he always chilled Nick to the bone. Beyond the man was Nanny Laura. She was the one crying in the background. Nanny Laura?" The child's voice shook in a sudden surge of fear. "What is wrong?"

His Uncle took three steps towards him, eyes raking over Nick, and they were cold and pitiless. 

"Tonight, your parents were killed in a plane crash. As your only surviving relative, I am now your Guardian and until you are of age and inherit the Company, I am also acting CEO. I will make the appropriate funeral arrangements. You will attend as chief mourner. And then, we will discuss your future." He gestured to the distraught woman in the hall as silent tears fell from Nick's eyes.

"What are you waiting for? Do what you must with the boy tonight. Talk to him. Comfort him, I suppose. I will return tomorrow and discuss changes that will begin immediately in this household." And with that, walked down the stairs, out the door and into his car.

************

Just as his Uncle had promised, changes had been made. A strict private school was chosen for him. He attended 8 hours a day. When he returned to his house, he was given a nutritious snack and then headed to the study that had been his father's. His tutor then guided him through his homework and then a schedule of added studies set by his Uncle. Dinner was next, the cook serving a balanced meal that he ate alone, dwarfed by the long and empty dining room table.

 Nanny Laura had been let go. 

"You are no longer an infant," His guardian stated. "You are fully capable of taking care of your hygiene. The housekeeper will do your laundry and keep your room clean. Your tutor will organize your daily schedule, and you will adhere to it exactly. You must realize that you have an obligation to the company to assume your school duties and make A's across the board. Failure to do so will be dealt with accordingly. Failure, under my guidance, is not an option."

As time went on, the only thing N,ick found to his advantage, was his Uncle Maintained his own residence in town. Although the prospect of the man's weekly visit and review made Nick physically ill, the other six days were bearable. He got very used to nothing but work and duty. But he also became solitary, withdrawn, and painfully shy. His room was his only sanctuary away from the watchful eyes of the household staff, and he escaped there when possible.

************

Every day was the same. No surprises. Except one... It happened twenty-four hours earlier when he heard Aine's voice and glanced out to see her facing down a man who out-weighed her by a hundred and fifty pounds as he was delivering the new rowing machine for the gym on the garden level.

He thought back on yesterday's excitement and felt a rush of adrenaline. He also felt a little sad that he would probably not see her again. Why would he? He was shy and dull, and socially awkward. He pulled the blind up and looked below. No, he had been right. She was nowhere in sight. He drew his head back in slowly and something caught his eye. Along the side of the house stood an oak tree, and a strong branch ran parallel and slightly below, his window. There, carved into the tree was a small discreet heart. An arrow was cut through it and the single letter 

'A'

He looked at it in disbelief. She had returned! Had she really been crazy enough to do it during the night? He actually laughed out loud and even though it was a soft, quiet laugh, he clapped his hand over his mouth, not wanting to be heard.

Then he had a thought. He crossed over and locked his door. Walking swiftly to his desk, he removed a penknife. Finally, he ran back to the window, took a deep breath, and dropped carefully to the limb beneath the sill. He landed quietly and scooted to the massive trunk. He opened the knife, and carved a plus sign, then the initial 'N' below the 'A'.  As soon as he came back inside and unlocked his door, He washed his face, brushed his teeth, and changed into his pajamas. He lay down and found himself way to excited to sleep.

A/N: And a  Happy Valentine's Day to all.