Prologue (2/2)

It was warm. That was the way Earl Oklaind liked it.

A roaring fire. Some fine wine. A gorgeous woman or two to cozy up with. Such an existence was close to heavenly, an existence where one could lounge about and do as one desired whenever they so pleased.

This was especially true during the colder parts of the calender years, when the weather became much more unpredictable and chaotic. Whilst the guards and Knights paraded around Castle Oklaind and its freezing stone halls, the middle-aged noble stayed as cozy as could be in his room. With servants working round the clock, tending to his every need and desire, there was never a moment where he would have to vacate such a paradise. Even for the matters of work and politics, they paled in comparison to the tender flesh of a young maiden and the succulent taste of freshly cut fruit.

On that particular night, the olden noble had managed to snag one of the female guards, using her need for familial funds as a bargaining chip. Even though it was obvious how much the woman was disgusted by his presence, he paid it no heed and divulged in his newfound treat.

That was where he was when the door to his room was unceremoniously kicked open, sword deep in the very guard he had managed to coax.

"So. This is his room huh? Makes sense. We nearly freeze to death every night and this pig gets to live the lavish lifestyle he never even earned."

"Yes. But focus on the mission. Ghost will be here soon."

"I know." Alice grumbled as she walked into the room. "More than anyone, I know. This is the moment. I won't mess it up."

"WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??"

Without even waiting for an explanation, Earl pulled himself to his feet, kicking the covers away.

"Put some clothes on." Alice narrowed her eyes in disgust. "Have some shame."

A few seconds passed after the redhead said those words. Then, as if realizing who it was, Earl seemed to calm down a little, sitting back down onto the bed. He still seemed angry and a tad shocked but he had regained some semblance of confidence. The guard on the other hand had no such confidence, having clambered out of the bed and holed herself up in the corner the moment the noble had moved away, sheet clutched to her chest.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, my dear Alice?" Earls black hues fixed onto the redhead, an aroused expression mixing in with his anger. "Did a servant send for you to join me?"

Alice ignored his question and glanced over to the cowering guard. "You. You'll do as a witness. Stand there and you won't be harmed."

Earl scoffed. "Harm. That would raise the implications that you'll be harming me then. Correct?"

"Well. The pig can think."

The rotund noble smirked as he raised his hand. "You think you and that weak crested lout could match nobility? Don't make me-"

BAM!!

Before the man could finish his sentence, let alone cast any magic, he was struck in the face with the end of Alice's sheathed blade, causing him to flop out of bed. Screams of pain filled the room as Earl rolled on the ground, clutching his broken nose, dark red blood pouring out like a leaky faucet. Curses and muffled whimpers escaped the nobles lips, eyes filled with a newfound fear as well as a deep rage. However, even with all of that, Alice didn't so much as flinch, reattaching her longsword to her hip.

"It seems you don't recognize who I am. That's alright. You don't need to know." Alice pulled her leg back.

Crunch!!