Chapter 56

-Evangeline-
.
.
.

"Your dad?" Mr. Winters questions.

"Yeah. As I told you, my Dad died when I was 19. It took a lot out of me to say goodbye to him and to finally accept he's gone. This year marks five years since he's been dead. I've finally got to the point where I can say his name or think about him without tearing. Every morning, I used to visit his grave to talk to him like he was my therapist. What's funny is that sometimes, I would imagine his voice talking back to me. The last time I've been here was over six months ago," I look at Mr. Winters, who has wide eyes. I chuckle.

"It's okay. I know it's a lot to take in meeting my parents, but I wanted you to meet them because that's what boyfriends and girlfriends do, even if they're dead," I laugh and look at Mr. Winters, seeing him having a serious face. I clear my throat.

"Anyways, my mom's buried behind him. We tried to get as close as possible to her, and we didn't have the money at the time to save a plot, so this is the closest we can get to her," I sigh.

"All right then, let's carry on to the next spot," I start walking down the line of graves.

"You go ahead. I'll meet you at the car in a moment," I turn back and smile at Mr. Winters as he stares at the grave of my father.

I walk to the car and sit on the driver's side. I look at the graveyard and see Mr. Winters kneeling, looking at my father's grave. He stands and walks towards the dirt path and starts walking down it towards the car.

"What were you doing?" I ask as he gets in the car.

"I was talking to your father," I smile.

"Awe, you already forming a bond and going to watch football together?" Mr. Winters looks at me seriously. I clear my throat.

"Sorry, that was dark humor."

"Where to next?" Mr. Winters says, chuckling. I smile.

"I have a spot I want to show you," I pull out of the dirt parking lot and start driving on the road.

After a long haul of driving for an hour and stopping for food, pull into a private road, parking next to a secluded woods. I smile at Mr. Winters as he looks at me confused while I grab the food, get out of the car, and start walking towards the woods.

"Is this where it turns out you're a psycho killer and chain me to a tree?" I hear Mr. Winters say. I laugh and turn around.

"If you want me to chain you to a tree, all you have to do is ask. Besides, I should be worried about bringing you here. After all, only one other person knows where we are and where this spot is," I say while I walk backward. I turn back towards the woods and walk into them.

"Keep up with me. It's easy to get lost in these words. Trust me, I know," I walk to a tree with a small carved X's on it.

"Walk into the woods to find your X. Go beyond, and you'll get a Hexs. Turn left to find a star," I look left of the X-marked tree and see a tree marked with a star a couple of trees to the left, "You're not far. Jump over the edge. Be careful, or you'll be dead," I look at the deep crack in the ground.

"Can you roll that large log over that edge?" I say to Mr. Winters as I point at a log.

"That's a dark nursery rhyme you're singing," He says as he walks over to the large log.