Chapter 6: Chapter Six: Unveiling Feelings

𝓗𝓮 𝓼𝓪𝓲𝓭, "𝓘'𝓶 𝓳𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼, 𝓲𝓼 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓵 𝓸𝓻 𝓳𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓷 𝓪𝓬𝓽?"

As Charles grappled with the aftermath of his mother's revelation, he found himself scrutinizing every interaction with Pierre, desperately searching for signs of unspoken emotions. Best friends for years, there was a lingering doubt that Pierre harbored romantic feelings, a notion Charles found both perplexing and unsettling.

His analytical mind went into overdrive, observing Pierre's every move. The softness in Pierre's gaze, the subtle admiration that Charles had never truly noticed before, now stood out like a beacon of uncertainty. They were always touching, Charles realized. While it was normal for best friends to have physical contact, the frequency and intimacy of their touches set them apart. Bumping shoulders, little taps, arms slung over shoulders and waists—it was a routine part of their friendship.

Charles couldn't deny the ease with which they slipped into the role of a couple in front of others. Holding hands, wrapping arms around each other, it felt oddly natural. Yet, as Charles scrutinized Pierre's face for any indication of hidden feelings, he found nothing that aligned with his mother's assertion.

The private jet journey to the upcoming race served as a temporary distraction. Numerous games of chess filled the time, providing an escape from the web of confusion Charles found himself entangled in. The early landing allowed them a rare opportunity for lunch, and, inevitably, they ended up at Charles's hotel.

As they stood in the hotel room, Charles suggested a swim in the pool, and after a bit of gentle persuasion, Pierre agreed. Charles found it ironic that, as the messy packer, he had managed to pack three swimsuits, while the neat and orderly Pierre had forgotten his. It was a fortuitous mistake that provided Charles with the perfect excuse to loan one to Pierre.

In the privacy of the hotel room, they changed into their swimsuits. Charles couldn't help but sneak glances at Pierre's naked form, the familiarity of their friendship momentarily forgotten. Charles grabbed towels and a shirt, his senses heightened by the subtle scent of Pierre's laundry detergent. It was easy to lose himself in the moment, the boundaries between reality and pretense blurring.

As they made their way to the elevator, Charles threw on the shirt that undoubtedly belonged to Pierre, while Pierre opted to go shirtless. The elevator ride took an unexpected turn when a couple joined them, their eyes immediately drawn to Pierre's physique. Charles, feeling an unfamiliar surge of possessiveness, slid closer to Pierre, wrapping an arm around his waist. The unspoken message was clear—Back off, he's mine.

Pierre met Charles's eyes with a soft smile, seemingly unperturbed by the attention. Charles, however, was left grappling with his own emotions. Why was he feeling possessive over Pierre, especially when they were merely fake dating for appearances?

The elevator finally reached the seventh floor, and as they walked toward the pool, Charles was consumed by introspection. When had his feelings for Pierre become so complicated? Why did he suddenly feel possessive, jealous even?

Lost in his thoughts, Charles barely registered Pierre's splash into the pool. It wasn't until a wet hand landed on his arm that he snapped back to reality. Pierre's concern mirrored his confusion. "Charles, are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry, just zoned out," Charles replied, sneaking glances at Pierre's dripping physique. As they entered the pool area, Charles discarded his shirt, the thoughts swirling in his mind still unresolved.

For the next hour, as they swam and goofed around in the pool, Charles grappled with a revelation. The realization struck him like a bolt of lightning—he had a crush on Pierre. The emotions that had remained buried beneath the surface had finally surfaced, leaving Charles with a newfound awareness of the tangled feelings he harbored for his best friend.

The journey that began with a fabricated romance had taken an unexpected turn, unraveling a truth that Charles was only beginning to comprehend. As they laughed and splashed in the pool, Charles found himself navigating the uncharted territory of newfound emotions, wondering how these feelings would alter the course of their friendship and the illusion they had crafted for the world.