[39]

MANHUNT UNDERWAY FOR NEW SUSPECT IN HAWKINS MURDER CASES; MUNSON VINDICATED

"Wow," Eddie mused, studying the Hawkins Post article sitting on the table in front of them, a photograph of their new suspect taking up the majority of the front page along with the article in question. "I thought my picture would be bigger, honestly."

Lily followed Eddie's gaze to where a much smaller image of him sat at the bottom of the paper, the tagline detailing Edward Munson as the original suspect in the murders shocking the people of Roane County, cleared of any and all charges during the police conference the week before. "You want to be front and center after being the target in their last manhunt?" she teased, eyeing him suspiciously.

"No publicity is bad publicity, babe." he pointed out, and she rolled her eyes as she picked up the newspaper, beginning to read the article out loud.

"Due to new evidence recovered in the case of the Devil of Hawkins, responsible for the brutal murders claiming the lives of three Hawkins High School students, the Roane County Sheriff's Department has issued a warrant for a new prime suspect." Lily began to read aloud, Eddie watching in awe as he processed the words printed in the newspaper. "Due to evidence gathered in an eyewitness testimony, a manhunt is underway for Hawkins High senior Jason Carver, 18. Carver was seen by the people of Hawkins as a leader in its initial manhunt for Edward Munson, 20, after the body of Carver's first victim, his girlfriend, 18 year old Christina Cunningham, was found in Munson's trailer the morning of March 22nd. Other victims include Carver's best friend, Patrick McKinney, 18, and fellow Hawkins High senior Fred Benson, 17. Sheriff reports detailed Carver's accusations of Munson, saying Munson was 'a vessel for Satan,' and 'a brutal killer.'"

"Ouch," Eddie interjected. "Words hurt, man."

"Munson was missing during the manhunt for nearly a week until an earthquake struck the town of Hawkins, where authorities apprehended Munson at Hawkins Memorial Hospital. Munson was in police custody for nearly a week until evidence came forward of a failed attack on the night of the earthquake by Carver on Hawkins High freshman Maxine Mayfield, 15." Lily cleared her throat slightly as she felt her voice faltering. "Following the arrest, Sheriff Calvin Powell later cleared Munson of all charges. Eyewitness accounts detailed Carver's brutal failed attack, which resulted in him fleeing the scene, and Carver has evaded police custody ever since. Tips received by the sheriff's office detailed witness accounts of Carver spotted fleeing Hawkins after the earthquake, leading a county-wide hunt for the suspect. Any tips regarding this case can be called into the Roane County Sheriff's Office."

"Do you feel bad about it?" Eddie asked as Lily set down the newspaper, and she shook her head.

"No," she said adamantly with a sigh, thinking back to the guy that used to drive her, Chrissy, and Patrick all out to dinner after a long night of basketball and cheer practices, but was now just the one who interfered and nearly got them all killed in the process. "Maybe I did, at first. There was nothing any of us could've done to save Chrissy, not when we didn't know what we were up against. But Jason had so many chances to learn the truth, and he didn't want to see it. He watched you save me that night, in the water, and he still told Powell that you killed Patrick. I tried to tell him the truth when he found us in the woods, and he told me I was brainwashed. And when Lucas tried to explain everything to him at the Creel House that night, Jason tried to kill him and almost killed Max in the process." Lily wiped her eyes with the sleeve of her sweatshirt, angry tears that had begun to fall in her frustration. "So no, I don't feel bad in the slightest."

Eddie reached out, taking her hand in his and intertwining their fingers together as she smiled softly back at him. "Well, on the bright side," he began. "In about two minutes, I'm free of this place."