𝟬𝟬𝟭 - 𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖉𝖆𝖞

listen before I go | Billie Eilish

.-* " I'm leaving soon, sorry can't save me now" *-.

࿏*.✭...-*-...✭.*࿏...࿏*.✭...-*-...✭.*࿏

MORNING IN DISTRCT 3, starts out like any other day in the district. The hum of the factories and grumbles of people walking along the streets to get places were heard through out the district. 

District 3 which is known for its manufactory of technology was always busy this time of morning, the streets and factories starting to fill up as dawn came upon them. Its usual dull and grey looking streets and buildings were contrasted by the glow of technology and the rising sun.

The sound of a bedside alarm woke Alice Cadieux from her sleep which she just about got, as some nights she found it harder to sleep due to reoccurring nightmares of her fathers tragic death in one of the many factories in district 3, which collapsed and killed a few hundred citizens of 3, including Alices father. 

She rolled out of her bed begrudgingly as she turned off her alarm. Alice was always up before her younger brother Adam to make the breakfast and to clean the house before her mother returned home from her job in the factory, but today was different. The annual reaping loomed over them like a storm threatening to rain.

She went downstairs and started making a small breakfast that would feed the three of them for the morning at least. They still always found a way to manage with food without either children having to take tesserae. 

"Alice?" Her younger brother Alex questioned, not expecting her to be up this early as it was the only day of the year they had off. "Yes?" she hummed back while placing down 3 plates of breakfast for her family.

"Are you nervous...you know, for today?" Alex questioned quietly with concern lacing his voice while he picked at his food. Alice paused, wondering what would happen if her name was picked. It was unlikely for her name to be picked out from the bowl of possible tributes for 3 but her name was in there 4 time so there was always the small possibility. 

"I..I don't know Alex, I mean yeah I guess I'm a bit nervous," she said clearly uneased by what was happening on later that day "but aren't we all?" Alice chuckled dryly trying to lighten the mood. Alex nodded solemnly, the weight of the situation heavy on his shoulders. The thought of his sister getting picked sparked a deep fear within him.