12

As I was getting out of the shower, I heard the phone ring. When I picked up the phone, I was almost deafened by Christina's alarmed scream:

- Emma, where are you? Are you okay?

- Everything is fine, Chris, don't worry.

After a few seconds of silence, she spoke more calmly:

- Yes, I understand... if you are in danger, say that you don't know what was asked on international law.

- Chris, - I said, laughing, - I'm really fine.

- Are you sure? - my friend asked incredulously. - Where are you?

- In the dorm, in my room.

- Then put your roommate on the phone... what's her name?

- Tanya? She hardly ever comes here. She lives with her boyfriend in an apartment. She only comes back here when they fight.

- Okay, I'll believe you...

- Thank you very much, - I replied sarcastically.

- But why do you sound so cheerful? A couple of hours ago you were saying goodbye to your life, and now...

- Let's not talk on the phone. It's a long story.

- Another long story? No, I can't take another one without wine.

I laughed and answered:

- Come.

- I understand, I'll be there soon.

After finishing the conversation, I started getting dressed and preparing dinner for our bachelorette party. After a while, there was a knock on the door. I was sure it was Chris, so I opened the door. But the smile instantly disappeared from my face when I saw Max with three roses in his hands.

- Hi, - he said timidly.

- Why did you come? - I asked him, standing in the doorway and preventing him from entering.

- Emma, I wanted to apologize. I said too much then...

- Whenever I meet you, you always say something unnecessary, - I was indignant.

- Please forgive me, I just had too much to drink and... I really don't think so, - he looked at me guiltily and I felt sorry for him.

- Okay, come in, - I let him in.

He came in timidly and stayed near the door. Noticing the table set for two, he asked:

- Are you waiting for someone?

- Yes. Would you like to join us for dinner?

He grimaced as if I had offered him something disgusting, turned around and flew out of the room. I was left standing in the middle of the room, not understanding what had caused such a sudden change in his behavior.

A couple of minutes later, the door opened and Chris came in.

- Listen, my friend, I'm barely alive.

- What happened? - I asked.

- Max almost pushed me down the stairs. He was running like a madman.

- He came to see me.

- What for?

- I don't know. He came with roses, apologized, and when I asked him to stay for dinner, he took off like a man on fire.

- Roses? Red roses? - Chris asked smiling.

- Yes... - I said, not understanding what she was getting at.

- Well, you can have them if you want. They're lying on the landing in front of the stairs, or at least all that's left of them, - she took off her shoes and walked into the room, - it looks like someone has beaten them up pretty bad. Oh, Emma, you really pissed off the guy!

- How? I just offered to join us for dinner, - I said indignantly, not understanding what my friend meant.

- Yeah, I set the table for two... I can imagine what Max thought when he saw that.

- What nonsense!

- It's nonsense to you, but he's really hung up on you. So be careful with him.

I was surprised by Max's behavior, but I didn't want to talk about him anymore, so I noticed a large bag in my friend's hands and asked:

- Did you rob a store?

- Emma, - my friend said sadly, - can I spend the night at your place?

- Of course you can, it's not the first time you've done it. You'll sleep on Tanya's bed, - I asked, worried about my friend, - but what happened?

- Before I could leave the house, our teacher-demoness called my mother and told her that I was not at the lecture today... and it started. I listened to a whole concert on the highest notes about what an ungrateful daughter I was, packed my things... and now I want to drink.

- Chris, I'm sorry, - I hugged my friend.

- Forget it, let's not talk about that today. I'm much more interested in knowing what you talked to Wilson about.

Our meeting over dinner and a bottle of wine lasted late into the evening. I was talking, and Chris was listening to my every word like a child. Later, as she finished the wine in her glass, she sang cheerfully:

- He's got the hots for you...

The words of her friend caused a gentle ache in my heart and a smile. Noticing this, she added:

- Ohhhh, and you're in love...

- Chris, come on! This is not a romantic situation at all! - I replied, blushing.

- Yes, it is! He's a handsome man and the coolest lawyer in town, you're all honors, smart and beautiful...

- Yeah, and a kompromat hunter, - I added sadly.

- Well, you wanted to quit this job, so be happy. You have that opportunity! - she added, as if remembering something, - and how much will he pay you?

- We haven't discussed this issue at all, - I said in confusion.

- Oh, so he's going to pay you in kind? - and we burst out laughing.

After calming down a bit, I said:

- I don't know, Chris. I wish I could somehow get out of this story without consequences. Money is so important... I just realized what a serious game I started playing.

- Don't worry, everything will be fine, - Chris said, and closed her eyes as she sat up in bed.

- Good night, - I said, and covered her with a blanket. She only purred in response.

I cleared the table and went to bed. I didn't want to sleep, so I picked up my phone. Opening my correspondence with Rob, I read a lot of warm and romantic confessions that he wrote to me while he was on a business trip. Suddenly, the thought occurred to me that he had written all this knowing that he was my assignment. Was he really writing about his feelings, or was it a game?

I took a breath of determination and decided to write to him:

"If you already knew that you were my assignment, why did you write to me about your feelings?"

Almost instantly, he appeared online and started writing something. I kept my eyes on him and waited for his reply for what seemed like an eternity. But finally a message came:

"Because I hoped for reciprocity." A minute later he sent another message: "Everything I wrote is true. And even though my feelings are not reciprocated, I hope that someday you will love me."

His words grabbed, squeezed, and squeezed my heart. At that moment, I felt unworthy of this man. If he is telling the truth and there are real feelings between us, this complicates things even more. I have already realized that I have fallen in love with him completely and irrevocably. But our relationship is not easy. And I'm just afraid of being left with a broken heart later, when I fulfill all the agreements and there is no task between us named Evan.

Looking for the right words, I wrote and erased fifty answers for him. But I fell asleep, leaving him unanswered.