#4: A Trip To Hogsmeade

ARTEMIS' POV

Artemis had always had a tricky relationship with magic. When all of her cousins and family friends were sent off to Hogwarts and she was at home, alone with her parents, she couldn't help but feel that it had betrayed her, in a way. The possibility of being a squib had lingered around her for a long time, especially when her younger sister had gone off to Hogwarts as well after displaying signs of magic.

She wasn't pureblood, like her cousins. Her mother was a muggle and her father hailed from a centuries old Indian pureblood family. When they migrated over to England, Artemis' father had made sure that she hadn't forgotten what the Varma name stood for.

Intelligence. Wit. Ambition. Talent.

But Artemis was determined to forge a new meaning to the Varma name. As soon as the offer to join Hogwarts later arrived, she snatched it up, agreeing at once. Magic hadn't betrayed her - it had simply been waiting for a reason to give itself to her.

All of that, however, was pushed far from her mind when she was forcibly awoken on Saturday morning.

"Artemis!" Her dormmate, Samantha Dale, chucked a pillow at her, "You're going to make us all late if you don't get up, sleepyhead!"

"Five more minutes," Artemis groaned, burying her face into her own pillow as she chucked Samantha's off the bed, "Zenobia's still in the bathroom!"

"But she's not going to take an eternity, unlike you," Samantha teased, walking around Artemis' bed and tugging at the duvet the girl had cocooned herself into, "Up!"

"Listen to your mother," Another one of Artemis' dormmates, a ginger girl by the name of Aella grinned over jokingly.

Artemis sighed deeply, pulling the duvet over herself just before Samantha snatched it away.

She groaned, "Sam, I hate you."

"Since you're new, I think we should tell you that we don't use that tone in this household," Zenobia exited the bathroom, patting her face dry with her towel. There was a humorous tone to her voice as turned to her wardrobe, picking out an outfit, "We should also tell you that some of us get irritable without breakfast, so you wanna hurry your ass before we miss Hogsmeade and food!"

Artemis shot up. "Hogsmeade? That's today?"

"Sweetie, I don't think Ravenclaw was the house for you," Aella pretended to tut and sigh as Samantha laughed.

"Yes, it's today, and we're going to be late if you waste anymore time! Hurry up!"

"I'll be fifteen minutes!" Artemis promised as she forced her limbs to work, blinking her eyes wide open and walking over to the bathroom.

True to her word, she was ready in fifteen minutes, hair brushed and looking presentable. It had to be a new world record. Samantha, who was fully aware how long Artemis could take getting ready, wholeheartedly agreed. The reason behind it was obvious though - Hogsmeade had been on Artemis' bucket list for so long. She adored travelling and where best to start than the largest magical settlement in Britain?

The four girls traipsed down to breakfast, all of them pondering over the statement that Aella had posed to them as Artemis had come out of the bathroom. If the Earth was flat, the edge would be a tourist attraction.

"Imagine wearing a shirt that read I've visited the Edge!" Zenobia mused with a small smile as they sat down for breakfast.

"Imagine having a fridge magnet of it," Artemis added, "It would be so expensive though."

"Or maybe not," Aella shrugged, "If enough people visit, there'd be enough money involved to lower the prices a bit to make it more affordable, giving them more profit."