➣ 𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝟐 "𝘼 𝙇𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙊𝙣 𝘾𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙢𝙗𝙞𝙖𝙣 𝙃𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮"

°°

The night was cold, but the air around them somehow retained its warmth. Perhaps it was their familiarity that bred the comfort, because their family had been barren ground for contempt. Walking with his grandfather always felt that way.

But no matter how comforted he felt in the chilly breeze that welcomed the soon-arriving autumn, Nicolás' attention was hooked on Abu Pedro's voice. It was overly obvious his grandfather meant something by taking him out of the house. There was something to be discussed.

"What do you know about Spirit Magic?" Abu Pedro finally inquired, once they were surrounded by trees.

Nicolás thought for a moment, trying to ignore the rumbling noise coming from the house. But little could be done to demean Caelum's so rightful enthusiasm for being picked Prefect, nor his own father's excitement for being hired as the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher.

They've had a whole mini party on their own before Carolina delivered Harry to the Weasleys. Everyone was ecstatic, not just because it was like a dream job for Remus to teach—especially at Hogwarts—but because maybe now the youngsters would have someone trustworthy close to them at all times.

"I've read about it a few times, Dorian managed to smuggle me a book from the Malfoys, but Castelobruxo had much more research on the topic," Nicolás started. "I know it's difficult because you basically seek the aid of spirits, which could be either of great help or greatly harmful."

"Why?" Pedro asked. And Nicolás knew he was being tested.

Abu Pedro was always like this. First seeking to know how much one knew about the topic at hand before even disclosing what he intended to say. Nicolás respected that. It evidentially saved a lot of voice.

"Because The Fade is a treacherous place. It hosts all kinds of spirits, from the most benevolent Spirit of Compassion to the most seething Rage Demon. You don't meddle with The Fade unless you are at peace with the risk of becoming an Abomination," Nicolás answered, before crouching to scratch Ember's head. "I've read about Spirit Healers, you know. It's fascinating the way they can direct power from spirits towards healing, it has saved people at the brink of death. It's sad there are so few currently."

"And why do you think that is?" asked Pedro, crouching too, but choosing—to the Wampus Cat's utter delight—to pat Ember's bum.

"Because most of them end up being possessed," Nicolás said, standing up to continue their stroll. "A guidebook I found at Castelobruxo said that one only has a certain time while seeking aid from spirits before being sensed by demons. Specially Desire Demons."

"Ugh, nasty things those ones are," grumbled Abu Pedro with a laugh.

"Yeah, so I've read," Nicolás chuckled. "Anyways, what does that have to do with anything? I'm still waiting to see how you connect all of this to Riddle's diary."

Abu Pedro beamed. "Clever boy, aren't you?" he laughed, ruffling Nicolás' hair. "Maybe too smart for your own good."

Nicolás barked a laugh, "Well, Riddle did say that."

Abu Pedro sobered for a moment, before talking again. "You see, Spirit Magic is generally used for good, as you know. It's only possession that makes it a risk, but never the practice itself. However, there are other methods to turn this magic dark. There's this branch, it was very silenced, called Soul Magic. Ever heard of it?"