Chapter 3

SCARLETT

Slowly opening my eyes, I groaned as a massive headache instantly began to form. Rubbing my forehead with the palm of my hand, I hoped it would get rid of the headache but it didn't seem to help one bit. Sitting up, I groaned once again when the pain in my head increased. Looking up, I was in a room with only a bed, a few dressers with lamps and two windows. The room was encased in wooden flooring and dark blue walls. The door was white, matching the ceiling. The trims were white as well.

Forcing myself to stand despite my throbbing head, I walked over to the door, attempting to open it. To my surprise, it opened with ease. Clutching my throbbing wrist to my chest, I slowly stumbled down the long hall. The more I walked, the more my vision began to double. Everything in front of me became fuzzy. Collapsing to the floor, I struggled to grasp the wall beside me. I forced myself to my feet, continuing to walk forward.

"Where do you think you're going?" I could hear a voice ask.

The voice echoed in my ears. Turning around, a man was standing only a few inches away. I couldn't male out his features due to the blurriness that consumed my vision but his voice was recognizable enough to know that the man was Caleb. The second I recognized him, my knees buckled beneath me, sending me collapsing forward. Arms wrapped around me, lifting me bridal style.

I wanted to fight as he held me but I couldn't move. It was as if I had no energy. All of it was completely drained as Caleb placed me back down onto the bed. The mattress was unusually hard, leaving it to be uncomfortable and the pillow was extremely thin. Caleb loomed over me. A light flashed in my eyes. The brightness only worsened my throbbing head. Caleb forced me to sit up, leaning me against the wall. Groaning, I turned my head away from him. Caleb only placed a hand under my chin, forcing me to look up at him.

He pressed a small object against my lips. Sealing them tightly, I refused to let him force whatever he was trying to give me, pass my lips. Turning away from him, I refused to look back at him. Closing my eyes, I hoped that would get rid of the pain I was in but it didn't.

"Take the damn pills." Caleb shoved them into my hand. Popping them into my mouth, Caleb offered me a bottle of water, placing it to my lips. I kept my lips sealed against the cold liquid. "Drink." Caleb ordered.

Parting my lips, I took enough sips of what I now realized was water, to wash down the pills I still had in my mouth. Closing my eyes, I leaned back against the mattress. I could feel a sudden shift on the mattress and then a cold and damp material, a cloth, was placed on my forehead. Caleb ran it alongside my face, neck and arms. The feeling sent relief throughout my body.

"Why are you helping me?" I finally asked.

"My choices were to either help you or never fight again. I made my choice. Now it's time you make yours." I knew what he meant. "Don't try and leave again or your privileges of staying in a nice room will be revoked." He said as he stood, walking over to the door. He left without another word.

* * * *

Sitting for a while seemed to eventually get rid of my throbbing head. Standing, I nearly collapsed backwards when my vision began to spin once again. The quick movements I had made to get towards the door didn't help the situation. Forcing myself to straighten up, I did my best to ignore the slight dizziness I felt as I walked to the door. Ignoring the warning Caleb had given me about leaving, I let myself out of the room. I wasn't a prisoner. I refused to be.

Walking down the cold hallway, there was no one in sight. There were people shouting but it was faint. So faint that I wasn't sure it was coming from the same building. It almost sounded like fighting but it was hard to tell. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a fight club here. Wherever here really was.

Observing the house, it was a one floor open home with a basement. I only knew that from the stairs and the memory of already being in there. The house was nice and open. The kitchen, dining room and living room were all connected. The living room had everything you'd see in a regular home. A television, television stand, a couple leather loveseats, a recliner, coffee table, a few tall lamps, a few art paintings, a few shelves with books and a few shelves with dvd's. The dining room only had a six person oak wood table and chairs. There was a large crystal chandelier over the table. The kitchen had large black cabinets with marble counter tops. The island in the center was the same. The fridge, dishwasher, microwave and oven were all black, matching the whole kitchen.

The second I decided to walk to the front door, was the same time someone decided to enter it. I was staring straight into the eyes of Xavier. He seemed shocked for a split second but it was quickly replaced with anger as he came storming up towards me. He grabbed my shoulders, slamming me into the wall, pinning me in seconds. He placed a hand loosely around my throat as his other arm rested against the wall. The strong smell of cigarettes was leeching off of him as if he had just smoked a few moments ago.

"Who let you out?" He asked, holding back his rage.

I stayed silent, looking away from him. He moved his hand from my throat, gripping my chin tightly as he aggressively forced me to look at him. Wincing from the pain, I tried to move away from him but it was pointless. He was way too strong for me. Trying to get away only made him grip my face more tightly. He moved so close to me that our bodies were just barely touching.

"I won't ask a second time." He seethed.

"Then don't." Xavier slammed the palm of his hand against the wall as a warning. The sudden unexpected action had caused me to flinch. He squeezed my face harder, causing me to let out a small whimper of pain. He smiled mischievously as if he enjoyed seeing my pain. I had to blink back tears to prevent myself from showing any weakness. It didn't take a genius to know that that's exactly what he wanted.

"If you think I'm playing games, I'm not. Now answer the question!" He continued to speak in an aggressive tone.

I rolled my eyes. "I let myself out if you must know. I guess no one around here knows how to lock doors."

He let go of my chin. Within seconds his hand came down across my face. The stinging pain of his slap caused tears to fill my eyes. He pointed a finger towards me "You won't like what comes next if you don't check your attitude around me."

"I'm not scared of you, Xavier."

He backed up a few steps before aggressively grabbing my arm. "You will be."