Chapter 3

My bank account's pulse was faint, the sickly green of the screen searing the number into my retinas like a brand. Severance pay, once a cushion, now felt like a stone in my pocket, dragging me down to the murky depths of uncertainty. I let out a breath I didn't realize I'd been holding, the exhale mingling with the sharp tang of desperation. The walls of my apartment seemed to press in closer, the hum of New York City life outside morphing into a mocking chorus. It sang a reminder of dreams deferred, of rent due, and the relentless march of time.

"Think, Jade," I muttered to myself, kneading my temples as if I could massage an idea into existence. Painting? My brushes lay dormant, coated in the dust of better times. Writing? Blank pages snickered from the corner, taunting me with their emptiness. I hadn't done anything creative since getting laid off. Up until that day, my head was always swirling with silly ideas, fun thoughts, and creativity. But now, I felt like such a failure, I didn't think I had it in me anymore. As if a part of me had died. Funny how when you give your life to your job, your life becomes it.

I thought about asking Alton if he wanted to grab a coffee. Partly because I wanted to see him again, but mostly because I wanted to procrastinate a little more. My coffee maker was nowhere in sight and if I was going to have any inspiration today, I would have to begin with at least one cup of liquid ambition. I threw on an Indiana University hoodie; oddly, it still smelled like home. I slipped on some Uggs and glanced at Alton's door. It was almost always open a crack, which seemed like the strangest thing to do in a city full of strangers, but I found it comforting. I'd only been here two days, but I was beginning to feel at home because of Alton.

When I took a step, my foot kicked a box on the mat. Willis told me that all packages would be in the lobby, and I wasn't expecting anything. I gasped. What if it was a bomb? Or, I wondered, maybe it was that suspicious white substance that was going around? I looked closer and noticed a note. It read, "To Jade, my favorite coffee date. Your neighbor, Alton" I opened the box, and inside was a high-end espresso machine. My jaw dropped and I let out a slow, "Wow."

From down the hall, a tall figure caught my eye. Alton, his sculpted body glistening with sweat, was making his way back from a morning jog. Every muscle seemed to ripple under his skin, and I couldn't help but feel a rush of admiration. Was this man an actor, or just a genetically blessed pedestrian? My mind wandered to all the movies and TV shows I had missed in the last decade due to my demanding job.

"Hey!" Alton said as he wiped some sweat off his brow. Then added, "I see you got my gift."

"Yes, that was so nice of you. Thank you. And thanks for yesterday, I had a great time," I said, sincerely.

"My pleasure. I'm gonna hit the shower. Let me know what you think," he said pointing to the machine.

The thought of him in the shower was so distracting that all I could do was stare at him.

"It steams up pretty fast," Alton said.

"Yea..." I said, forcing out whatever I could muster. Then I turned around swearing I'd never leave my apartment again after such an embarrassing interaction with the only person I knew in the city.

The machine was so intuitive, I couldn't believe I hadn't owned one before. The coffee came out bold and sweet, thanks to a touch of cream I had picked up with a few other things when Alton and I were out yesterday. I didn't have a proper bed, but I didn't care; I had the most luxurious coffee maker I'd ever seen.

I had another cup, took a shower, and got ready for the day. I looked in the mirror and felt confident. I was having what I liked to call a "good face day." I couldn't explain it, but some days, my face just looked better than other days. I decided to give Alton a visit to properly thank him for the gift. I figured it wouldn't be too much since he asked me to give him my thoughts. I know he wasn't expecting a follow-up, but I needed someone to appreciate how well my hair and makeup were coming together even if the rest of my life was falling apart.