CHAPTER SIX, first day at Abigail Adams high

The first day to her new school, Mirabel woke up to her loud annoying alarm clock. She groans and rolls over, hitting the snooze button. She really didn't want to get out of bed. She just wanted to go back to sleep. But she knew she had to go to school. She was nervous and anxious for her first day at a new school. She was excited to see Lucas, though. Her heart was racing and she had a smile on her face just thinking about him. The butterflies in her stomach had been there since last night. She had gotten a good night text from him before she went to bed. It made her heart race and her face turn red. He was so sweet.

Mirabel pulls her covers over her head and closes her eyes, wishing she could fall back asleep. She didn't know how long she had stayed there, but the next thing she knew, the covers were ripped off of her and the sound of her mother's voice filled the room. "Time to get up, mija. You have a big day ahead of you." Beatrix said gently, looking at her daughter with a warm smile.

Mirabel groans, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "Can't I just stay home?" She whined. She didn't want to go to school. Well, she did, but she didn't want to go to a new school. It was nerve-wracking.

Beatrix sighs. "You can stay home one more day, but you should go to school. I know it's hard, but you'll be okay. The more you wait to go, the harder it will be." She said softly, sitting on the edge of the bed. She gently places a hand on her daughter's leg, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Plus, you'll get to see Lucas." She added, knowing it would help convince her.

Mirabel's cheeks heats up but she did open her eyes, smiling slightly. "I do want to see him. But I'm still nervous." She admitted.

"I know, honey. But I'm sure you'll have a good day." Beatrix says, squeezing her leg gently. "Do you want me to walk in with you to the office to get your schedule?" She asked, looking at her daughter in concern.

"No, that's okay. Thank you, though." Mirabel said, smiling reassuringly. "I can do it." Hopefully, she thought but she didn't say it.

"Okay, well, then get ready and when you're done come down for breakfast." Beatrix smiled and kissed the top of her head before getting up and leaving the room.

Mirabel sighs and slowly got up. When her phone buzzes, she reaches over to grab it off her nightstand. She smiles when she sees the notification is a text from Lucas. She quickly opened the message and her heart warmed at the sight of the simple 

"good morning, bel. I know you're probably nervous, but don't worry, I'll help show you around the school. and you'll get used to it in no time. if you need anything, let me know. I'll see you soon."

Mirabel types a reply, a wide smile on her face and her heart fluttering. "Thank you, Lu. It means a lot to me. I'm sure I'll be okay, especially with you there. See you soon, cowboy." 

Mirabel then got up and got ready for the day, going through with her morning routine. She decided on wearing black leggings, a white t-shirt with a floral design and a denim jacket over it. She put on her necklace and a few rings, deciding not to wear any earrings. She slipped on her converse shoes and headed downstairs, her heart racing and her nerves were bubbling.

She found her mom in the kitchen, the smell of bacon and eggs filled the room. She smiles and sits at the kitchen island. "Thank you for cooking, mama. That smells amazing."

"Of course, mija. It's your first day at a new school, I wanted to make you a nice breakfast." Beatrix smiles, turning the stove off and putting the food on the plate. She then set the plate down in front of Mirabel. "What would you like to drink?"

"Um, orange juice, please." Mirabel said, smiling gratefully.

"You got it." Beatrix replied and grabbed the carton of orange juice out of the fridge. She poured her a glass and set it down in front of her. She then got herself a drink of orange juice and a plate before she sat down by her daughter.