The phone call

Audrey took a deep breath as she waited for Jean to answer the phone. Her heart pounded in her chest, knowing that this conversation would change everything for both of them and the children involved.

"Hello? Audrey?" Jean's voice came through the line, tinged with concern."Jean, we need to talk," Audrey began, her voice steady despite the turmoil inside her. "It's about Sherry."

There was a pause on the other end of the line, followed by a heavy sigh. 

"What's happened, Audrey? Is everything alright?"Audrey hesitated for a moment, gathering her thoughts before she spoke. 

"Jean, I'm afraid it's not good news. There's been an accident. 

Sherry and Wayne... they didn't make it." Silence hung heavy between them as Jean processed the words. Audrey could almost feel the weight of the news settling on his shoulders.

"Oh god," Jean finally breathed out, his voice choked with emotion. "Are... are the kids okay?"Audrey's heart ached at the concern in Jean's voice. 

"Physically, yes. They're with me now. But emotionally... they're devastated."There was another pause before Jean spoke again, his voice thick with sorrow. 

"I'll be there as soon as I can, Audrey. We'll get through this together." Relief flooded through Audrey at Jean's words. She knew she couldn't handle this alone, and having him by her side would make all the difference for the children.

"Thank you, Jean," Audrey said, her voice catching slightly. "I don't know what we would do without you."

"We'll figure it out, Audrey," Jean replied firmly. "I'll be there soon."With that, they ended the call, leaving Audrey to grapple with the enormity of the situation. But she felt a glimmer of hope knowing that Jean would be there to support them.

As she looked around the house, she saw the Vinson children each dealing with their grief in their own way. Sophie sat alone in a corner, her face buried in her hands as tears silently streamed down her cheeks. 

Oliver paced back and forth, his brow furrowed in deep thought. Peter sat by himself, staring off into the distance with a haunted expression. And Tessie... sweet, innocent Tessie remained blissfully unaware, playing with a toy in her own little world.

Audrey knew that they would need time to process their loss, but she also knew that they couldn't do it alone. They needed each other, and they needed Jean.

As she waited for him to arrive, Audrey gathered the children together, wrapping them in a comforting embrace. They clung to each other, drawing strength from one another as they faced the uncertain road ahead.

And as they waited for Jean to join them, Audrey couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness. With him by their side, they would find a way to navigate the stormy seas ahead and emerge stronger together.