𝟬𝟯 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔞𝔭𝔦𝔱𝔬𝔩

SLEEP WAS HARD TO COME BY IN DISTRICT TEN. Having the animals make noises in the crack of dawn or the middle of the night. But everyone grew used to all the noises, knowing that it was one of the things you got used to living there, like sleeping on too-hard mattresses or the smell. 

The mattress Bellona slept on the train was too soft and big for one person. At one point, she felt like she would sink through the mattress since she slept on hard ones back home with Kaia. 

If it wasn't one thing, it was another.

She missed her sister and hasn't even entered the games yet. Anxiety crept on her slowly, and she was scared that if something happened to her in the arena, Kaia would be alone. She exited the bed and walked out of the room and through the train, wanting to clear her mind before landing in the capitol in a few hours.

She walked to the end of the train, seeing chairs and a large window from one side to the other. The view of the forest captivated her, as she was used to plains and fields for miles—and not trees that go high into the sky.

"You're looking at them like you've never seen trees before," a voice called out, causing her to jump. She turned around and saw Samson sitting in one of the chairs by the side window as he looked at her.

"I've seen trees. There's trees at home, but," Bellona commented back to him with a bit of sass as she looked through the window. Even though it was dark out, the moon lit up the forest as the train passed. "Not like these." The way Gabriel looked at her as she kept her gaze on the outside, he saw a child in front of him instead of an eighteen-year-old.