Prologue

Kaito Ren wakes up in his room in the morning and stretches before hurriedly getting out of bed. He glances at the clock and realizes he needs to hurry to get to school. He waits for his friend Hana Mei to pass by his street so they can go together. She lives just half a block away from him. He only has time to drink his coffee and eat a sandwich prepared by his mother, who is always at home taking care of household chores. His mother's name is Alice Kaito; she was an exchange student who stayed in Japan after meeting his father.

Alice Kaito: "Son, don't be late for school. Don't forget we have a trip tonight since there are no classes, so let's enjoy some family time."

Ren: "Thanks, Mom, I won't forget!"

Knocks on the door can be heard, and he quickly opens it. Hana pulls him by the arm, urging him to hurry up because they're running a bit late.

Hana: "Let's go, it's time! We can't be late!"

They rush to school and manage to enter just before the bell rings. They walk to the classroom with their materials to attend the math class in the first period and the extracurricular financial education class in the second period.

Kaito and Hana always sit next to each other, and their relationship makes their classmates speculate that they are a couple. However, they see themselves as good friends, always helping each other with their studies. The day goes on with them always together, chatting or debating about something they disagree on or about the subject at hand.

At the break, they go to the school's rooftop as usual to have lunch together, each with their lunch boxes. They exchange some of the things they don't like much with each other.

Kaito: "Let's trade, my grilled chicken for your breaded steak?"

Hana: "Yes, I prefer chicken. You're always so assertive in negotiations, hahaha."

They make the trade and then eat calmly. Hana becomes pensive and feels a slight melancholy, but she smiles afterward. Kaito notices this and looks at her.

Kaito: "What's wrong?"

Hana: "Nothing, I just thought that, as my mom said, school times are sweet, and really, if things changed, I would be quite sad. I'm glad things are like this."

Kaito: "What a weird talk, Hana. Have you been watching too many anime? Haha."

Hana: "You're right, Kaito. Thinking about these melancholic things at this moment, haha, well, the break will be over soon. Let's pack up to go back to class!"

They put away their utensils and close their lunch boxes, which they have already finished eating from. Then, they hear the end-of-break bell ringing. They attend the last classes and do very well, as always, showing good behavior and involvement with the subjects. The teacher praises them for their good behavior.

Several hours pass; they study full-time, so the routine is quite demanding. It's already late afternoon, and they can finally go home. As always, Kaito accompanies Hana.

Some students whisper among themselves, and then one of Hana's friends approaches her and speaks to her.

Erika: "Bye, Hana and Kaito, behave on the way, okay? Haha, see you next week."

Hana: "Hey, don't think nonsense, Erika, we're just longtime friends, okay?"

Hana's face turns quite red, which makes Erika laugh a bit. Kaito doesn't understand, but for some reason, he feels a bit shy too.

Hana: "Kaito, let's go before it gets too late."

Kaito just nods with his head, and then they both walk along the streets together. Hana always seems more vibrant and happy when she's with Kaito. She walks slowly along the sidewalk; she stumbles, and Kaito catches her so she doesn't fall. They laugh and continue their way.