Chapter 5 / First School:

A/N: I feel so bad for Hallie at times poor thing. Hey - does anyone have new nicknames that aren't Hal/Hals?

Hallie's POV!

I sit on my bed one morning, reading a book I got recently.

I reach a page and my eyes widen. What a dam plot twist. There's a knock on my door and I glance over as it opens.

"Hey Hal," Dad comes in and leans on the edge of my bed. I grin. "Ready for school?"

I wince. I'm starting school today. I forgot. And worse - my first day of High School.

"Hey," Dad sits next to where my legs are under the covers. "What's up?"

"I've never been," I say softly. "Well - I did once. But...it's been years."

I shift myself so I can rest my head on Dad's shoulder. He wraps his arm around me. "I'm scared."

"Hallie," he says softly. "What are you scared of?"

"I was pulled out because I didn't have a last name and kids were teasing me."

"You have a surname now," he assures me. "The adoption was finalised the day we signed you for school."

I lift my head up. "What? I didn't know that!"

"It was a surprise," Dad chuckles. "You're officially Hallie Brock."

I tear up, my hands flying to my mouth. "I..I am?"

Dad hugs me tightly. "I promise Hal, you are. I swear."

I burst into tears. I haven't had a last name since my parents died.

We stay like that for a few minutes.

***

A few hours later, I'm sitting on the floor of a large hall as the teachers read out the names of their students.

"Brock, Hallie!" A female teacher calls. I stand and walk over, grinning at how my last name is in use.

I join my new class and wave to Dad and Uncle Sam. They wave back.

"Hallie, right?" A girl with dark hair and tanned skin asks. "I'm Naomi."

I turn to Naomi and smile. "Yeah, I'm Hallie. Nice to meet you." We shake hands and Naomi laughs.

"Nomi!" A girl who looks a little like Silena Valdez runs over. "I'm in 7A!"

They high five and the girl turns to me. "Sophia Warren."

"Hallie Brock," I reply with a proud grin.

We start talking and before long the teacher says to say goodbye to our parents. I run over to Dad and Uncle Sam, giving them both a hug.

Dad kisses the top of my head. "Have fun, Hallie."

"I think I will," I reply. I look over to Sophia and Naomi.

I definitely will.