IF I HAD

This song is off of his album "The Slim Shady LP." The first album that truly popularized him. It is his 2nd album, his first being "Infinite" which was essentially a commercial failure. (It is a very good album, but do be warned you won't be able to find any of the songs on Spotify except for the title track Infinite, however they can be found on YouTube.) 

Back to the original topic. "If I had" was written in the summer of 97' after a series of unfortunate events happened in just a single week. It primarily speaks on how he has troubles with money, he's mad at his girlfriend a 'blonde' who I assume is Kim Scott from that time line, and little is clear about any of his other relationships. Assuming he learned what can happen when you're in the public eye.

Em also says

"But if I had a million dollars
I'd buy a damn brewery and turn the planet into alcoholics (If I had a million dollars)
If I had a magic wand
I'd make the world suck my dick without a condom on while I'm on the john (I could set my troubles free)
If I had a million bucks
It wouldn't be enough 'cause I'd still be out robbin' armored trucks (If I had a million dollars)
If I had one wish
I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss"

Balancing his personal struggles with some "fuck you" attitude.

The first time I ever heard it I was about 10 in my brother's room, I heard the line. "Tired of not workin' at GM," GM standing for GMC, a very big auto company based in Detroit Michigan, and I learned that Emenim lives, and has spent a large chunk of his life in Detroit Michigan. I also learned that he was originally from Missouri, which I thought was totally cool because I'm from Missouri.

At that time my older brother started introducing me to rap and hip hop music. He liked Eminem the best because we were 2 white kids raised by a single mom in some shitty places, so we related to it. We didn't relate to a toxic relationship or having a kid, but we thought all of his music was fire. (We were correct on that front).

I find that "If I had" is relatable, with the money problems, and wishing that you had more. My mom also drove a shitty Monte Carlo.