𝗼𝗻𝗲; 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝘂𝘀

THE ROUSSEAUS ARE a troubled family, and they always have been, at least ever since I can remember. I first met Parlee and Matt when we were in first grade, and we've been best friends ever since. Naturally, I bonded with Parlee a lot more, y'know, since we're both girls and shit, but I was still good friends with Matt too.

I had been to their house more than a few times, but after probably like a year and a half of us being friends, they suddenly stopped inviting me round. I didn't think anything of it at the time, 'cause we were kids, but now looking back, it was really weird.

Like, we literally went to theirs all the time, we were basically never at my house. Mainly just because they were filthy rich and were always stocked up on every snack I could dream of. That was thanks to their parents, who owned a real estate agency that sold houses all around the globe. Rousseau Enterprises is a name that almost everyone everywhere knows.

Isabelle and Antoine Rousseau were very unique people. And very admirable and inspiring. I remember looking up to them when I was younger and thinking "Damn, that is where I wanna be in life like a good 20 years from now."

Why was that? Well, the couple had spent the majority of their life back in France, living on the outskirts of fuckin' Paris, and way poorer than they are today. This was way before their business had become what it now was, maybe 20, 25 years ago, when they were only just planning it. Anyway, the twins were born about 2 years after the company had started to pick up speed. Another 2 years later, their parents adopted Luci, and they were overjoyed. Only seeing their parents and each other had become a bit of a bore, so they were glad there was a new face in the house.

The family moved to California a few years after, and expanded their business further. Having had quite the load of money, and consistently getting more since their business was literally BOOMING back in France, expanding across the whole country and hiring more and more workers, they settled comfortably in a huge mansion overlooking the town. When I say huge I mean HUGE. They lived in the richest neighbourhood around, and they fit right in. The place looked like it was straight out of a movie – all fancy and shit. And the gardens? Picture-perfect, full of any plant or flower you could imagine, as if it was copied from an advert and pasted in. I think I remember Parlee saying this was the summer before 1st grade started, damn they must've learned English quickly. And they did. But they forgot French.