Chapter 4.

Dominic paused, his mind racing as he tried to process Key's words. "What do you mean you remember buying this? This belonged to my mother!" he said in disbelief, a hint of irritation evident in his voice.

Key's expression wove a tapestry of confusion, surprise, and a bit of sadness. "I don't understand either. In the memory I had, I got it from Goldman's Antique Shop. Goldman himself sold it to me," he explained, trying to make sense of the situation as well.

Goldman's Antique Shop was a well-known store in Greenville a few blocks away from the plaza where they stood. Its legacy spanned long before Dominic's birth, and Goldman himself had witnessed the youthful days of Dominic's parents when they were just teenagers.

So how could that have been possible? Dominic couldn't fathom how Key, seemingly his age, could have bought his parent's vestige. Certainly, whatever bracelet Key had bought, this wasn't it.

"This doesn't sound crazy to you? For that to be true, you would've had to know my dad back when he was a teenager," Dominic pointed out. "You're what.. 17?"

"I.. don't remember," Key admitted, sadness tinging each word. "But at least we have another clue. We can check out Goldman's. Maybe he remembers. It may just jog my memory too."

"I can't just skip work to go play detective with you," Dominic said firmly.

"Why not?" Key's disappointment was visible.

"Because this is stupid. I don't know you any more than you know me. You follow me home from the cemetery, claiming to be a ghost. You seem to have everyone going with this elaborate scheme to make me seem crazy. For all I know, you and Joel, along with everyone else, are trying to make it look like I'm unstable to get rid of me without the hassle!"

"Look, man, I get it. I don't know much but based on what Celia told me I know you lost parents. I can't even fathom the pain you're feeling right now," Key expressed, his face softening despite Dominic's irritation and paranoia.

"I'm asking for a lot, I know. It's so selfish actually but I don't have anybody else. No memories, no home. No nothing. I don't even wanna be here right now. Begging and pleading with a total stranger for help because I'm invisible to everyone else," Key's voice cracked, the mask of composure slipping to unveil the raw pain underneath.

Dominic, confronted by Key's heartfelt words, felt a surge of empathy. Suddenly, the weight of his selfishness and suspicion became burdensome. He recognized sorrow— a feeling all too familiar to him— as an universal language.

"I didn't follow you because I thought you could help me, I hoped that you would. I do get it though. I'll try to find the answers to my life myself so you, at least, try to enjoy yours," Key said, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder before leaving him standing in the parking lot.

Dominic felt terrible. Had he always been this selfish? He wondered. With this self-reflection came a pang of regret. Memories of his father's wisdom echoed in his mind once again.

'It's never too late to do a good thing.'

Dominic clung to these words, seeing them as a beacon of possibility for redemption and change.

"Wait!" He shouted, halting Key in his tracks.  "I'll come with you." The sudden decision hung in the air, and Dominic felt a mixture of uncertainty and newfound determination.

The excitement painted Key's face with an unmistakable, broad grin. "Well, what are we waiting for? Start the van!" Key exclaimed, bounding back over to him.

"Why? Goldman's isn't too far from here."

"We have to go get Celia first," Key responded, a sense of urgency and mystique lingered his voice. "I'll explain later."