Chapter 13

Thedrick pushed the door to Maerwynn's room open slowly and slipped inside without even announcing himself by knocking. He looked around the room, and instantly noticed the young queen seated at a miniature table and chairs in the middle of the room, serving imaginary tea to her dolls.

"Maerwynn? Where's Beowulf?" Thedrick asked with slight alarm, which caused the queen to quickly look up from what she was doing and glance over at him. She silently pointed at the bed, before turning her attention back to her dolls.

Thedrick's gaze wandered over to the bed, where he saw the giant soldier laying spread out on the mattress, still dressed in his sleeping linens. Thedrick's pale brows furrowed in confusion, and he padded softly over to the bed, watching the large figure breathe steadily. Once he was standing next to the bed Thedrick could see that the big guy wasn't asleep, but he was staring up at the ceiling blankly.

"Wulfy?" Thedrick asked with concern, and Beowulf let out a large huff, but didn't look at the jester. Thedrick quickly scrambled up onto the mattress and took a seat next to the soldier.

"Cassian sent me up to see if you were ready for the ceremony..." Thedrick explained softly, giving Beowulf a sympathetic look. It was clear that the guard hadn't moved from the bed since awakening that morning.

"I don't want to go," Beowulf finally said, still not making eye contact or moving to get up.

Thedrick's brows drew together again. "But... you can't not come Beowulf, the ceremony is for you, to award your knighthood."

"I don't want it," Beowulf said shortly, frowning.

"Wh... What do you mean you don't want it?" Thedrick asked, placing a small hand on Beowulf's bicep.

"I don't want to be awarded for killing people..." Beowulf's voice caught in his throat slightly as he spoke. "It's not a good thing."

"But... they were bad people Beowulf, they killed the king and wanted to kill Maerwynn too, and you stopped them from doing that. You deserve recognition for protecting her," Thedrick tried to argue.

"I just did my job..." Beowulf muttered miserably, rolling over on his side to turn his back to Thedrick.

Frowning, Thedrick shuffled closer to Beowulf, leaning against his huge body and rubbing his back reassuringly.

Thedrick wasn't sure how long they stayed like that, but soon his attention was grabbed by a knock at the door. He lifted himself up from where he had his body partially draped over Beowulf's, who had been sobbing quietly. The door of the room opened, Cassian poking his bearded face through and looking around the room. When his gaze rested on Thedrick and Beowulf on the bed his expression fell, and he pushed open the door fully and stepped into the room, closing it behind himself before he strode over to the side of the bed that Beowulf was facing.

"Come on lad, you have to get up and get ready," the officer said in a firm but not unkind tone.

Beowulf sniffled. "I don't want to," he said softly.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter what you want Beowulf," Cassian explained with slight exasperation. "This whole thing is less for you and more for the people. They feel safer when they know there is a brave hero protecting them."

"Is that what I have to do as a knight?" Beowulf asked with uncertainty. "Does that mean I won't get to be Maerwynn's bodyguard anymore?"

Cassian shook his head and chuckled. "Is that what this is about? I'm sure they will let you keep your position Beowulf, after all, you did a very good job at it. You'll just also get a title and land, and people will have to call you 'sir'," the officer explained in a light-hearted manner.