ONE

Asher

As the sun rises on the first day of senior year, I can't help but feel a mix of excitement and dread churning in the pit of my stomach. Senior year, the pinnacle of high school, the gateway to adulthood, and yet, for me, it's just another day in the charade of my picture-perfect life.

I glance at myself in the mirror, adjusting my tie with practiced precision. The reflection staring back at me is the epitome of privilege. Perfectly tousled hair, Brooks High luxury uniform, and a smile that could charm the pants off anyone.

"Ready for senior year, Asher?" Anna's voice interrupts my thoughts, her presence, a familiar comfort in the chaos of our dysfunctional family.

She stood beside me, her own reflection a mirror image of mine, yet somehow distinctly different. Where I exude confidence, Anna radiates a silent rebellion.

"Always, Anna," I reply with a smirk.

We may be twins, but you can say we have the frenemies kind of relationship, partners in crime one moment, bitter rivals the next. And yet, there's no one else I'd rather have by my side, actually, there was no one else on my side asides her and mom.

As we made our way downstairs there was this familiar tension that was always present in our house, a silent reminder of how far from perfect our family was.

Nate, the first child, nods in acknowledgment as we pass, his gaze lingering a moment too long on Anna before turning away. Hunter, who couldn't be bothered, lounges on the couch, a lazy smile playing at his lips as he watches the world go by. I wondered why they were around anyways considering they no longer live with us.

And then there's Jerry, the thorn in my side, and constant reminder of my father's infidelity. His presence is like a dark cloud hanging over us, casting a shadow on our carefully curated facade. I shoot him a disdainful glare as we cross paths, his smirk infuriatingly smug as he leans against the doorway.

"Look who decided to grace us with his presence," Jerry taunts, his voice dripping with contempt. "You ready to fail spectacularly this year, Ash?"

I grit my teeth, forcing a polite smile as I reply, "I'll leave the spectacular failures to you, Jerry. Wouldn't want to steal your thunder."

Anna rolls her eyes, stepping between us before the tension escalates any further. "Save the drama for your mama, boys. We've got bigger things to worry about, like surviving senior year without killing each other."

With that, she grabs my arm, dragging me away from Jerry's infuriating presence and towards the waiting car. As we finally arrived at school, after suffering some minutes drive with Jerry, I finally got out of the car with a sigh.

"Stop it Ash". Anna told me, she was always fueling every situation by pretending to make peace.

"I just can't stand that..." She cuts me off quickly midway.

"You really can't call him a bastard Ash, it's prohibited". She warned mockingly.

Jerry clenched his fist like he was going to hit me but he couldn't dare. Fighting was prohibited outside of the house, we don't want to have the Brooks name in the mud.

As he walked off, Anna and I laughed loud enough so he'd know we were mocking him but our little moment of joy was cut short when I heard that voice.

"Hey babe". Anna had this mocking smile on her face as she patted me and walked off.

What a betrayer!

I turned around to see the owner of the voice—Gina Lawson! She was the hottest girl in school and every boy wanted to date her but unfortunately, she was mine.

I plastered a fake smile on my face as I watched her walk towards me with so much joy. If only she knew how much I detested this arrangement made by our parents.

Two months ago when Anna and I turned 18, I was expecting something huge! Nate got a fancy car when he turned 18, Henry got to move into the pool house since he hated being in the same space as the rest of us. I thought I'd also get something I've always wanted.

When Anna was presented the key to her own vacation house and a new Mercedes, I was extremely happy expecting a gift like hers but all I got was Gina.

I still can't forget my mom's apologetic look and the pride at which my dad had said "I'm sure you know Gina Lawson, you two are to be engaged in three days".

Well, I got my own vacation house too but Gina was my Mercedes, I guess. I knew she had a crush on me for a long time and this was like a dream come true for her but to me, it was a nightmare and now I was stuck.

"Hey.... Gina". I manage to force out, my smile feeling more like a grimace as she approaches.

Gina practically beams, her eyes sparkling with excitement, she grabs my hand in hers casually. "Isn't this amazing? Senior year, finally! And to think, we get to spend it together, engaged!"

Her words hung in the air like a heavy weight, suffocating me with their implications. Engaged. The word echoed in my mind, a constant reminder.

"Yeah, it's... going to be great," I replied, struggling to muster up genuine enthusiasm. "Exciting times ahead, huh?"

Gina beamed at me, oblivious to my lack of interest "Absolutely! Oh, I can't wait to start planning our future together. It's going to be so romantic!"

I stared at her, taken aback by her words. Laughter escaped my lips as I thought about the ridiculous thoughts in her head. Romantic was the last word I would use to describe our situation. Forced, maybe. Awkward, definitely.

She paused in her tracks, a frown on her face as she asked "You think it's funny?"

"No no no, I just think you are in a bit of a rush... Take it a step at a time". I told her. I was still trying to get used to the thought of us being engaged, talking about the future was just way out of bounds.

"As long as you ain't having second thoughts". She replied, her smile back on her face.

As I watched the radiant smile on her face, a pang of guilt washed over me. She deserved to be with someone who actually loves her, not me.

Just then, Henry appears at my side, an escape from Gina. "Oooh, there comes the couple of the year"

Or not!

Gina loved the comment and the attention it drew to her as everyone noticed us holding hands and began whispering. Still, I used Henry's presence as an opportunity to disentangle myself from Gina's grasp, stepping closer to him I whispered in his ear "Bro, I'm so going to kill you".

He laughed, then quickly placed his hand over his mouth. I glared at him and he composed himself quickly.

"Let's go man". He told me, turning to Gina, he gave his signature smile and said "See you later G". And with that, I finally escaped.