prologue

THE BEGINNING
5 years prior to the 70th hunger games

ODETTE "ODEL" SWAN loved deeper than the Pacific Ocean

ODETTE "ODEL" SWAN loved deeper than the Pacific Ocean. Kindness ran through her veins and peace made home in her heart. She had brown eyes like the palms that could  peer through your soul. Her hands were calloused from polishing tridents, knives and spears, and her mind was sharp from crafting fish hooks and nets. Her shoulders were burdened by the guilt of lives she could not save in the medical tents and the only other thing she could offer was hope.

"Odette!! Can you come here?" A woman in her late 40's beckoned the young girl over, guiding her towards a bed where a young boy laid. He was surrounded by numerous fisherman and all the honey brown haired girl could hear was his constant yells. "That boy is giving poor old man Caspian and his crew a hard time, you think you could take care of him?"

The older woman walked away before Odette could even open her mouth to ask any questions or respond. The ladies in the medical tent had a bad habit of assuming the Swan could just take on any task the rest of them didn't want to do. It was alright, the young girl would've been up for the responsibility anyways. Rolling her shoulders, the brunette pushed her way through the fishermen and set her eyes on the young boy, a name plate with the words 'Bishop King' sat at the foot of his bed.

"Just leave me alone! I ain't dead and I ain't broken." Odette was speechless. Not because of the boys anger or the fact that spit flew out of his mouth at the sheer aggression in his tone. It wasn't because he was thrashing under the fisherman's scrutinizing gaze. It was because this boy was absolutely breath taking.

His skin was kissed by the sun, cheeks pink both because of the heat that boiled under his skin and the burn the temperature graced him with. His jaw was still soft but tense and his nose was straight but rounded into a soft curve at the tip. His hair was lightly bleached from the sun, oak brown that faded into gold but it was his eyes that really got her. They were hazel, parts of his eye was a brown that reminded her of the earth, of the wooden planks in the boats that she longed to travel on and surrounding it was green. A deep forest green that reminded her of still water in the lakes or the green that flickered like sunlight filtered through leaves. They were beautiful and she was enchanted.

"I can take it from here, Caspian." She tugged at the rugged old man's shirt, ushering him to take his crew and walk away. With a tired sigh, he gave up and they finally left the room, leaving the two young kids to themselves.

"Oh, great. You here to fuss and whine over me too?" Bishop scoffed as his eyes landed briefly on the girl.

"No, I'm here because your fussin' and whining was annoying  Miss Mary." The corner of her lips turned up as she watched the tip of his ears turn pink.

"Well, I wouldn't be doin' either of those things if everyone wasn't making such a big deal." The brunette boy sat up a bit when the girl came around to check the bandages on his arm.