Chapter 12: United

Alexa's POV

It took us three hours to set up the camp for temporary shelter.

The campfire's warm glow and the soft ray of moonlight are our sole sources of light in the pitch dark of night

I find myself seated by the flickering flames, lost in deep contemplation.

Suddenly, Aunt's voice cuts through the quiet night, capturing our attention. "We're done setting up the camp and It's completely dark, so we must take our rest now. Grab your food, find a spot by the bonfire to stay warm, We must not waste time to rest enough. I know how hard this night can be even just for a nap, but tomorrow and to the future days of staying here might put us in a more tormenting situation. We have no control over that so make sure to get at least a nap if you intend to stay here longer, alive."

Observing Nyx and Cassandra peacefully enjoying their meal, I turn to Aunt. I can read her expression, understanding whether she's truly fine or just putting on a facade. I've come to know her even better than my own mom.

Soon enough, Aunt catches me watching her, prompting her to join me.

She sat next to me and said, "Just because I'm your aunt doesn't mean I'll go easy on you. If the time comes when I have to prioritize my own survival, even at the expense of yours, I won't hesitate. I have my own family waiting for me," she declared. I remained silent, my gaze fixed on the dancing flames, occasionally glancing at the dark forest surroundings.

"By the way, please take care of the kids. Don't worry; they are well-mannered and can handle themselves, but I just want to ensure they're with someone I can trust. I'm old enough to stay up late at night; I need to rest early. But make sure to get your rest as well," she said, tapping my shoulder before lying on the banana leaf as a mat alternative.

I glanced over to where the two kids were. They had just finished eating the fruits Aunt Serene had given them. The girl noticed me looking their way, so I smiled and gestured for them to come over.

They walked towards me with their careful yet cute little footsteps and settled beside me. The boy sat on my left, and the girl on my right. I leaned on their shoulders and drew them closer. I knew that in moments like this, they needed comfort, so I hugged them.

"Do you mind if I ask for your names and your age?" I started the conversation.

"I'm Leeroyd, but everyone calls me Lee. I'm 10 years old," he said innocently.

Right after he told his, I turned to the girl.

"I'm Cheska," she said, sounding timid. "I'm 10 too," she added.

I hugged them again, offering comfort.

I remained silent, embracing the quiet to provide them with a sense of peace.

"Why do they have to rule over us?" Lee broke the silence, posing a question out of the blue.

It wasn't the question I expected from a 10-year-old.

I sighed before responding. "You may not have learned this at school yet, but the Pleiadians, mainly the Galactic Federation, saved Earth from its doom before. In exchange for saving our world, they took the lead. Our way of living as human beings transformed from what Earth used to be. Earth was better before. Despite our rapid advancements, it feels like this isn't who we are."

Wait, why do I speak like I'm too talking to an adult?

"But the possibility of us to evolve and get this far as you say, is still possible right? It's just that the Galactic Federation expedited the process," Lee threw a follow up question that makes me questioned myself if he's really kid. His thinking capability is complex for a normal ten year old kid.

"Seems right, but because it transpired more rapidly with the higher being's assistance, we, human being's didn't learn on our own. We became dependent on them, that's why we find ourselves in this situation."

"The Pleiadian lady earlier mentioned that we're at war, but If this truly is a war, they must train us in a way that we not lose count. I just feel like this is for something else. I understand that we're all able to resist manipulation techniques. But if the stages become increasingly challenging and each stage involves bloodshed, it seems unlikely that anyone will make it to the final stage. The idea of staying here is non-sense."

"I don't have an answer for that one. But I agree with you. There seems to be something else going on," I said. He slowly nodded, implying that he understood what I just said. "And to tell you honestly, I'm impressed because at your age to think that way. It's giving me the feeling that I'm talking to an adult. You're keen, smart, and perceptive. You're unlike any kids I've met."

He just blankly looked at me. His eyes revealed a lack of self-esteem, implying a hidden backstory. To provide the appropriate support he needs, I need to understand his mindset.

It all boils down to psychology.

"If the two of you are just any other children, I bet you're crying as loud as a trumpet right now. But I want to clarify that when I compare you two to other kids, I don't mean to suggest that there's anything abnormal about either of you. In fact, in this situation, you're handling things remarkably well. However, I encourage you to just be kids, not to overthink, and trust us to address any questions or concerns you may have. Trying to force those thoughts will only tire you out."

They stayed quiet and I met their eyes. Even if they didn't speak or share their feelings, their stares and glances shows how terrified they are.

Okay, I won't force them to speak no more. I kept pushing them when they're obviously uncomfortable. How lame, Alexa!

With one last shot, I have to make them release their emotions.

They wouldn't last long with such a heavy burden.

"Come on. Follow me." I led them to a secluded spot where not everyone could hear us. I only had a torch with me to light up the darkness.

"What are we doing here?" Cheska asked.

I crouched down to face them. "It's just us three here. It's time for you to let it out," I said softly.

They seemed puzzled, but I knew they understood.

I held their hands to effectively convey my message. "It's okay to cry. Crying doesn't make you weak, in fact, crying is a sign of courage, but it doesn't make it makes you strong. Physically yes, but it makes you strong within! How? Because you're acknowledging your fear, your doubt, and you admit that you're sad. You're facing your struggle and that's a higher level of confidence and strength. Pretending to be strong thereof a sign of weakness, because you never know how to be honest to yourself. Acting like one doesn't make you one."

Tears welled up in their eyes, and it seemed like they were on the verge of bursting into tears any second now.

Counting down from 3... 2... 1...

Sure enough, they erupted into loud sobs. The noise could potentially attract predators, but surprisingly, after the pre-qualification stage, no signs of wildlife or any harm around. As what Herxia said, we're safe here.

For now...