Chapter 2; Forest's Bounty

Jyūoku - "Is that...a tank?"

Jyūoku stared at the blurry sight that resembled a tank. She could hear the metal clanging and wood scraping against rock.

Hyoga - "It appears so."

She was shoved forward and fell on her face.

Hyoga - "Senku! If you continue to attack I will kill this woman."

Hyoga's spear knicked Jyūoku's cheek, allowing a small stream of blood to dribble down.

Jyūoku - "Sen-chan?"

Jyūoku's eyes flitted from blurry blob to blurry blob until her head was yanked up by her hair.

Senku - "Jyūoku?! Taiju, Kohaku!"

The hand in her hair was removed and lean, toned arms snatched her away from the spot she was in. She was given to a more muscled set of arms and rushed into a cave.

Her shocked stupor wore off and she wiggled her way out of the arms of her new captor and ran as far back as she could. The pounding of feet reached her ears, but she wasn't able to react before a smaller lithe body started hugging her.

Yuzuriha - "Senpai, I missed you so much!""

Jyūoku - "Yuzuriha? You're here too?"

Jyūoku relaxed and hugged the crying girl back.

Yuzuriha - "Uh huh! Taiju is here too! Senku -"

Jyūoku pulled Yuzuriha back and brought her close enough to her face to see her big brown eyes clearly.

Jyūoku - "Is Sen-chan okay?!"

Yuzuriha smiled warmly and pressed her forehead against hers.

Yuzuriha - "Senku is alive and well. Although I'm sure he could use some good food and a proper night's sleep, he is alive."

Jyūoku lowered her head to avoid Yuzuriha's eyes.

Jyūoku - "Thank you...Thank you thank you thank you."

A massive explosion was set off and a few minutes later Taiju came to get them.

Taiju - "Senku managed to call a ceasefire and now we're being led off."

Kinrou - "The Chief asked me to keep you safe Miss."

Jyūoku - "O...kay, who are you?"

Kinrou - "My name is Kinrou."

Jyūoku - "Okay, nice to meet you Kinrou, I'm Jyūoku."

Ginrou - "And I'm Ginrou! Say, Senku must really like you to assign you guards~"

Jyūoku - "Sen-chan...Where is he?"

Kinrou - "Apologies, but he told us under no circumstances to let you near him right now. He's with Tsukasa and Hyoga -"

Jyūoku - "He doesn't want me to be a hostage again, I understand. Taiju, can you help me walk, sweetie?"

Taiju - "Sure thing Senpai!"

Taiju lifted her bridal style and started walking with the group.

Taiju - "It was a real shock seeing you revived Senpai."

Yuzuriha - "Agreed, but when Minami said she knew the perfect chef, I thought of you instantly. Who knew that you would be so close to the Tsukasa Empire."

Jyūoku - "So it's true? The entire world was turned to stone?"

Taiju - "Yeah, but the crew of the Soyuz came back down to Earth. You'll have to get the whole story from Senku, I didn't understand most of it."

Jyūoku - I'll help make a feast then. My sweet little Sen-chan managed to call a ceasefire? That indicates there was a war of some kind. The end of the war deserves a delicious feast. Kinrou, would you please guide me through the forest?"

Yuzuriha - "Here's a basket and a satchel for your loot, Senpai. Oh, and some footwear so you don't get any splinters."

Jyūoku - "How thoughtful, thank you Yuzuriha."

"Oho~ And where is this avishingRay young lady going?"

Jyūoku - "If you speak Pig Latin, you're definitely from the modern age. You'll accompany me."

Gen - "How orribleHay~ Oh well, I'm Asagiri Gen, Miss Jyūoku."

Jyūoku - "Pleased to make your acquaintance. I used to watch your magic shows while I studied for my finals or tried some practice dishes."

Gen - "I'm honored to meet a fan~ Let's go. We don't want to waste aylightDay. I'll help guide you so Kinrou-chan can protect us better."

Taiju set her down after she secured the 'shoes' on her feet. Jyūoku's arm was wrapped around, presumably Gen's arm and they started walking through the forest.

Gen - "So, Jyūoku-chan, what makes you qualified to be the Kingdom of Science's Leading Chef?"

Jyūoku - "I'm a culinary prodigy. I took online classes at three of the world's best culinary schools on full scholarships."

Gen - "How onderfulWay! So why are we trudging through this forest? And why am I here?"

Jyūoku - "One of my American classes required me to go into nature and learn about wild fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, and edible plants and make a veritable banquet entirely from what I could hunt and forage on my own. Without my glasses I need your modern eyes to help guide me. Sen-chan will make my glasses soon enough."

Gen - "Sen-chan, huh? What does our dear little Senku-chan mean to you?"

Jyūoku - "Sen-chan is my everything. I'm so happy and relieved that he's alive."

Jyūoku smiled brightly and abruptly yanked Gen's arm downward. She kneeled on the ground in a small patch of plants. She picked a plant and held it close to her face.

Jyūoku - "Gen, how would you describe the shape of these leaves?"

Gen - "Like dandelion leaves? Remember, that yellow, invasive weed?"

Jyūoku - "I knew it!"

Jyūoku popped the leaf into her mouth and started picking more of the leaves.

Jyūoku - Dandelion leaves are high in vitamins, nutrients, and they have a flavor profile similar to arugula, if not unrefined. The roots can be made into a coffee, the flowers are great to add to sweets or tea. Help me get the roots, I can't see them."

After Gen dug as many roots as he could from the dirt, Jyūoku had already found a stash of mushrooms.

Kinrou - "Mushrooms? Are they safe?"

Gen - "I remember those. Teriyaki shiitake and pork was my favorite dish back home."

Jyūoku - "Sen-chan liked to add grilled shiitake mushrooms and fried onion to his ramen and omelets. Grab as many as you can. Also, what part of Japan are we in?"

Gen - "Northwest of Mount Hakane. Why?"

Jyūoku turned her nose toward the sky and waited for the wind. The smell of deer and rabbits came to her left with a faint spray of water.

Jyūoku - "There's a river that way. I'm hoping to find a specific plant. Kinrou, get ready to take down a deer. Twenty feet that way." waited for Gen before starting to walk forward.

She waited for Gen to return to her side to help her navigate through the underbrush and fallen tree branches. Kinrou rushed past them and the smell of blood filled Jyūoku's senses.

Jyūoku - "Thank you Kinrou. There should be some lotus shoots around here. They should be green and circular if they're not in bloom."

Gen - "Sorry to bring you bad news, but I don't see any."

Jyūoku - "Hmm, we'll try again at a different river. Let us continue to forage in the forest."

Vote, comment, and have a fantabulous day 😊😊💚💚 
1137 words 
Enjoy