Chapter The Second

25th December, 2006

Aziraphale's Flat, London

Aziraphale woke up early on Christmas Morning to the sound of Eve's cries.

The fire had long since died, leaving smouldering ashes and cool air in its wake.

Aziraphale rocked her gently in his arms, eyes widening in slight panic as he remembered he wasn't exactly prepared to look after an infant, and did not have in his possession, food, clothes, nappies or a crib for the young child.

A problem he would have to remedy.

He waved his free hand, using his ability as an Angel to summon the supplies needed, much to the delight of Eve, who replaced her whimpers of hunger for giggles of happiness. She locked eyes with him, and Aziraphale felt himself unable to disregard her silent plea to repeat his previous display of magic.

And so with another wave of his hand, a small, white, fluffy bear with a tartan bow tie around its neck appeared, earning a squeal of delight. He carefully held the soft toy in his hand, watching with a small smile as Eve studied the toy with great interest, fondling the fluffy fur between her small fingers.

A shrill ring of the telephone downstairs interrupted the blissful peace he had found himself enjoying - much to his amazement. He huffed slightly in annoyance before moving downstairs, having fashioned himself a temporary sling to keep Eve secure and close to him. She had only been in his care for less than 24 hours, and already he had grown extremely protective of her. He would gladly consider himself Damned before letting her get hurt, and Heaven help anyone who dared to try.

Aziraphale uttered a polite greeting through the telephone, eyes flickering in recognition as Crowley's voice came through the receiver.

"Hi, it's me."

"It's who?" Aziraphale teased, smirking as he pictured the eye roll he had most definitely been the cause of, if the long-suffering sigh was anything to go by.

"It's Crowley. Listen, I think we need to have a chat. Can I tempt you to lunch at the Ritz?"

"Do you know what day it is? The-"

"Yeah, yeah, "The Son of God was born on this day, Christmas is awesome, blah blah blah", I know. But, seriously, I think something's up."

Something in his voice made Aziraphale pause. The usually unbothered demon sounded decidedly... bothered about something. He thought for a second, weighing up his options.

"Why not come around to the shop? I also have... news. I'll make crepes." Aziraphale offered, looking down at Eve, who had somehow managed to fall back asleep. "And we can open a bottle of that champagne you like. I bought a bottle a few days ago."

A moment passed before Crowley agreed and promptly hung up. Aziraphale placed the phone back in its place before shuffling back to the apartment. Included in the supplies he had summoned, he had found a tin of baby food - a banana, apple and strawberry purée, judging by the label - perfect for Eve's breakfast. She ate it hungrily, humming happily as she swallowed the mush, gurgling in content when she was finished.

A knock at the door announced the arrival of Crowley. Aziraphale walked back downstairs, still holding Eve securely to his chest. He opened the door, revealing the black-enclad demon. The aforementioned man looked up at the rush of warmth that flooded his body, welcoming the heat gladly.

"Oh, finally, I've been freezing my arse off! What took you so-" Crowley bemoaned, cutting himself off as his gaze trailed down to the baby in the Angel's arms.