𝟒 | 𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐨

My skates glide smoothly on the ice as the guys and I get ready for the morning skate. Tonight we have a home game against the Islanders and we were all excited. After spending the last few days up in Canada playing against the Canucks and Calgary, we were finally back home. I skate around the rink with my stick in hand looking up into all of the seats. Since the last time we saw each other, Gabi and I were able to work out that this game was the best one to work into her schedule. She works nights at a diner, but she had managed to sort out an earlier shift with her boss.

The guys had no idea Gabi was coming tonight and I wasn't planning on telling them. I've never even mentioned finding Gabi at Bean Haven and sitting down to talk with her for a while. If they found out she was coming tonight they would never let me hear the end of it. They would be quick to assume that anything other than a friendship was happening between Gabi and me. She's a great friend, but I would be stupid and blind to not admit that she is very beautiful.

"Alright, guys bring it in." I was so busy in my little world that I failed to notice that coach Lindy had skated onto the ice and was ready to start the morning skate. Skating over to the coach, I feel a presence beside me and spot Jack. He taps my arm, "Hey man you good? You looked like you were far away over there." He points back to where I was once skating in what was probably circles. "Yeah, I'm good, just getting in the zone." Jack lightly nods his head, not sure if he believes me, but shakes it off.

~

Finishing the last few passes, the whistle is blown, "Great job this morning everyone. Get some rest before the game later!" Coach waves us off and we all start heading back into the locker room to take off all of our gear and get dressed before a few of us have to do interviews. Luckily Jack and a few of the other guys would be getting interviewed, which meant I was off the hook until later. Putting the last of my things in my bag, I hear Jesper, Kevin, Nate, and Jack mention my name in a whisper. I slow down in packing my stuff up trying to see what I could hear, "He's been on his phone a lot lately. Do you think he's talking to that girl from the bar, Gabi?" I wait to hear what they are going to say, taking a quick look from the corner of my eye to see any physical reactions.

Jesper and Nate seem to verbally agree, while Kevin and Jack opt for shaking their heads up and down. I feel multiple eyes on me as I zip up my bag and place it on my shoulder. Looking over at them, "Hey I'll see you guys later. Rest up!" Not giving them time to respond, I pick up my pace to walk out of the locker room and head to the parking garage. When I talked to Gabi last night, she said she would be at the cafe today to get some more homework done before she headed to work. Checking my watch, I see that it's only 10:30 am and she should still be there. I contemplate whether or not I should head over there to visit her. Would she think that it's weird that I went to see her? What if I get her something to wear to the game later? I decided to go to the team store and get a jersey for the game later.
~

Driving off to the cafe, the jersey is folded in a bag in the passenger seat. I glance over at it and smile, feeling some nerves in my stomach. I know we're friends, but I don't want to make it seem like I'm pushing for something more. Once I make it to the cafe, I take the bag in my hand and walk in, spotting Gabi in the same seat she was at the last time I saw her here. She had both AirPods in and she looked to be having a great time in her little world. I take a minute to just look at her and how the sun shining through the window illuminates her. She is beautiful and she looks cute as she's dancing a little in her seat to whatever she may be listening to.

Walking past her, knowing she won't notice me, I make my way to the counter order my usual coffee, and get a muffin for her. Looking over at her while I wait, she still hasn't noticed I'm here and I'm hoping she doesn't until I sit across from her. Taking my coffee and her muffin, I walk to her table and take a seat. She's very focused on her laptop screen and I catch myself slightly smiling at how her eyes haven't left the screen staring right back at her.