thirteen ☼

Girl Meets Smashed

[ R i l e y ]

Today was my birthday.

Maya and I were going to spend the entire day with each other. What better way to celebrate a suicidal person's birth, right?

I woke up this morning, and excitement was bubbling within me. I rolled out of bed, raced down stairs after I got ready, and I sat at the breakfast table, expecting everyone I love to be there.

Except, Maya wasn't.

"Dad, where is she?" I asked, and it was as if I were about to breakdown and cry, devastation yelled from my eyes, and I couldn't take it.

"Riley, she wasn't here this morning, I'm really sorry" he pursed his lips, looking down at his pancakes.

Pancakes. Lucas called Maya a short stack of pancakes once, and I didn't defend her.

That was our very first fight.

She showed me that when you're really friends with someone, it doesn't matter if things are right or wrong, it only matters that you have someone that will be there for you when you need them the most.

As of right now.

"I don't feel like eating anymore" I said, getting up from the table.

"But I made this just for you, for your birthday." Katy put her hand on my wrist.

"Thank you, I appreciate it, I really do, but I think I should go" I smiled, and pulled my hand away from her grasp.

I went out the door, into the burning heat, where the busy people of New York City were.

I would never find Maya.

Where was she? She promised that she would be here.

I remember her telling me that hope was for suckers. If you hope for things, you get smashed, you expect too much, you get disappointed even more.

She was right about that.

I expected her to show up today.

But she didn't.

I hoped for things, I got smashed. My short stack of pancakes was right.

🔺

hey guys!!

please please please read my other books, it'll mean a lot to me 😁😁

thank you guys for everything

- Rowan ☁️