Hard Knock Life

Hard Knock Life
Word count 697
Cincinnati Ohio 2000
One shot prequel to Live Fast Die Beautiful which has nothing to do with One For The Money is a what-if au story that has bugged me for months. This is her first story. I only own Jaycee and Rosie and any other girls that are mentioned in this story.
Rated T for language.

Jaycee Grayson followed her mentor from the Baby Doll strip club into a party that was already rocking.
She frowned and tugged on Rosie's hand, "Rose." She whined. She didn't want to be there but she had nowhere else to go. Her mother's pimp had made advances on her and when she shut him down he threw her out of the apartment her mother could barely afford. With no home and no hope, she turned to Rosie who took her under her wing and got her hired at her uncle's gentleman's club.
"Don't whine baby girl." She said stopping her stride and looking at her, "You need friends."
Jaycee's blue eyes looked over her shoulder at the party and then back at her, "Fine. Fine. Just don't lose me in the crowd." She caved.
"Good girl." Rosie smiled smoothing Jaycee's blonde curls over her shoulders then she pinched her cheeks to get some color into them.
She slapped her hands away from her cheeks smiling, "Stop Ro, I am fine." And for the first time since she had started working at Baby Doll Club she felt it. She felt like something was finally going right in her life.
Rosie pulled her into the house and grabbed a red solo cup that was filled to the brim with amber-colored beer. She passed it to Jaycee before grabbing another one and pulling her deeper into the house. Jaycee sat down on the couch and pulled off her warm jacket and sat down sipping her drink.
Rosie glanced over at her and nodded her head smiling softly before yelling for a boy closer to her age, "Jon come here!" Jonathan Moxley, who had just stepped into the kitchen grinned, his dimples popping out, "What?" "Come here stud! I have someone I want you to meet."

He nodded his head as he picked up a beer and walked over to the couch, "who's she?" "This is my new girl, Jaycee. Jaycee this is Jon. Jon, Jaycee." Rosie introduced smirking.

The younger girl wiped her hand on her jeans and held her hand out to him. He looked at her then at her hand, he shook it briefly before dropping down on the couch next to her. Rosie winked at them before disappearing into the crowd.
"So you are a dancer huh?" He asked.

"Yeah." She answered shyly taking another sip of her beer, "It's good money, and it's going to help pay my mom's medical bills."

She had rambled on not caring if he asked or cared why she did it. It was a nervous habit, she just kept talking and didn't stop until she realized she had said too much. He turned and looked at her.

"She got fired from her job for taking too many sick days. She has advanced-stage breast cancer." She glanced out of the corner of her eye at him. He cleared his throat after taking several sips of his drink, "Sorry about the cancer thing."

"It's okay." She shrugged her shoulders, "Sure it's sad but she hadn't been the mother of the year."

"Junkie?"

She nodded her head, "hooker, deadbeat junkie."

Jon nodded his head, his mom was the same way. And where they came from dads were rare to have so he didn't bother asking and she didn't bother telling him.

Jaycee finished the last few swallows of her beer before she stood and went over to the keg refilling the plastic cup. She seemed to be an okay girl once they got her past her shy stage.

And between him and Rosie, they could get her out of her shy shell and who Jaycee really was.

Rosie looked over at them and caught Jon's eye. He nodded his head, he could handle hanging out with the blonde for a few hours.