Chapter 1

Serenity 's POV

 Waking up to birthday wishes from everyone else but my boyfriend was the least I expected. 'Lord, isn't he the one?' I quietly prayed, holding onto hope of God's reassurance. With the way our four-year relationship has been going recently, my mind has been crowded with doubts. 

It's not that he has been horrid or a complete jerk but I'm officially in my thirties and reflecting on my life, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I mean, come on, at this age I thought I'd have it all figured out – a loving spouse, a couple of adorable kids running around. But nope, that dream remains as elusive as ever.

I used to be one of those starry-eyed romantics who believed that once I found my soulmate, everything would just fall into place. I thought I'd meet this incredible person who would just get me, flaws and all, and we'd live happily ever after. Boy, was I wrong.

When I first met Elias, he wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I mean, he wasn't the tall, dark, and handsome prince charming I had envisioned. But as time went on, I started to see all these amazing qualities in him that I never expected. He had this unique way of making me feel special, like I was the most important person in the world. He would listen to me ramble on about my day, my dreams, my deepest fears, and he would hang on to every word like it was pure gold.

Over the past few months though, it's not just about feeling special anymore. It's about him actually stepping up and simply popping the big question. I know I sound desperate, but I can't help but daydream about the day when I'll walk down the aisle, wearing a stunning white dress, with him waiting at the end, a smile on his face that says, "You're the one I've been waiting for."

Throughout this year, we've attended numerous weddings of our friends, and while I am not inclined towards jealousy, I must confess that the sheer happiness radiating from the newlyweds as they don their elegant attire often moves me to tears. Our friends, curious about our own plans for matrimony, frequently inquire about when our turn will come.

Regrettably, there are moments when I find myself at a loss for words, unable to come up with a response that adequately captures the depth of my emotions.

Elias, on the other hand always changes the subject or crack jokes about us just not being ready. It used to be no big deal, but now it's really starting to bug me. I mean, come on, we've been together for four years! Sometimes, I can't help but wonder if his interest in our relationship is now waning. Lately, with his new job as a doctor, he's been so distant. It's like he's in a whole other world. It hurts so much with him not being around but deep down I know he has to save lives.  It's just that his priorities are all out of whack right now.

"Sere!" My mother's voice echoes through the hallway, gently tapping on the door to my room. "Come and have something to eat before you head off to work," she beckons, bringing back memories of how tardy I was in my teenage years. It's been nearly two years since I last heard my mother's voice calling me out for breakfast, and it felt really fulfilling.

Yesterday, after a tough day at work, I was so surprised to find my mother waiting for me at my doorstep. Nothing stopped me from giving her one of the biggest hugs, I've ever given to someone. I really missed her or let's just say with all that had been going on I really needed a hug, her hug. 

"I'll be down in a minute," I shoot back, still knee-deep in my routine prayer sesh. When it comes to all my worries, especially with the whole relationship or marriage thing there's only one being I can really count on – God. He's like that ride-or-die friend. And just like Psalms 46:1 reminds me I know God's got my back as he's always there to give me strength, be my safe haven, and swoop in when trouble comes knocking'.

Thanks a million for giving my book a chance. I really do appreciate it....

Don't forget to vote, comments and or share.