Chapter 2: the battle by the entrance

As the first light of dawn painted the sky in hues of pink and gold, Lui, of the Fire Clan, stood before her father's grand hut, her heart pounding in her chest. The weight of a careless promise made to a mischievous monkey hung heavily on her shoulders, threatening to consume her with anxiety.

Lui had always been known for her fiery spirit and unwavering determination, but now, faced with the daunting task of confessing her folly to her father, her confidence wavered. The thought of admitting that she had promised to be the bride of a monkey filled her with a sense of dread and embarrassment. Furthermore, she had to go with her groom within three days.

The village around her bustled with the morning activities of her people, the sounds of laughter and chatter mingling with the rustle of the wind through the trees. There were cows and goat making their ways out to the field. But in Lui's ears, all she could hear was the echo of the monkey's playful laughter and the weight of her ill-considered words.

Taking a deep breath to steady her nerves, Lui pushed open the door to her father's hut and entered the dimly lit interior. The Chief, a wise and formidable figure, sat at the center of the room, his hand was holding a smoking pipe. As he looked up at his daughter's troubled expression, concern flickered in his eyes.

"Father," Lui began, her voice barely above a whisper, "I have something to tell you, something I deeply regret." Her words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of her confession.

The Chief regarded her with a steady gaze, his expression unreadable. "Speak, my daughter. What troubles your heart?"

Summoning her courage, Lui recounted the events of the previous day, the challenge that she accepted, the mangoes that she brought home as a valuable item, and the foolish promise she had made in jest. She watched as her father's brows furrowed in confusion.

"You promised to be the bride to a monkey?" the Chief asked, a hint of anger and amused in his voice, thinking that this was all a prank that his daughter might pull.

Lui nodded, her cheeks burning with embarrassment and fear. "I know it was foolish, Father, but I must honor my word. I fear the consequences of breaking such a promise."

"Lui," the chief's voice was a low growl, the flames of anger flickering in his eyes. "You have traded your future, your honor, for a meager basket of mangoes?"

The Chief's expression became stern as he asked his question. He thought his daughter was playing a joke with him at first, but hearing her explanation, he became furious. If his precious daughter had to marry a monkey from the jungle.  He would die of shame. After all that he been through, protecting her from all these unwanted suitors, this wasn't the ideal marriage he had for her. 

Lui could see the changing aura in his eyes. She raised her head slowly, her heart pounding in her chest. She had never seen her father so enraged, his usually kind eyes now blazing with fury.

Lui looked up, her expression a mix of defiance and sorrow. "Father, I—" but the chief held up his hand stopping her from speaking more.  

"Do not speak!" Chief of Fire voice thundered through the room, shaking the very foundation of their home. "You have brought shame upon our clan if you betrothed yourself to a monkey. Shame upon our lineage. How could you betray our traditions in such a manner?"

The weight of her father's disappointment bore down on Lui like a heavy burden. She had thought the trade simple, a way to prove her independence and wit. But now, facing the wrath of her father, she realized the gravity of her actions.

"I did not mean to dishonor you, Father," Lui's voice was barely a whisper, her eyes brimming with unshed tears. "I couldn't come home with empty hand as you demanded. Father, I wanted to prove my capability. I'm sorry."