Epilogue

Guatemala City, Guatemala. 2018

In a hotel room, Jacqueline applied the finishing touches to her makeup when a call from an unknown number made her prepaid phone vibrate. Everyone who had this number was saved in her contacts...

She unconsciously arched her lips.

"Hello." A formality. She had a slight suspicion of who it might be.

"Hello, mon Coeur." That annoying voice that made her melt, echoed. " I heard you're in Guatemala."

"Just like you miraculously knew i was in Aspen, Hong Kong, or Dubai, right?" She picked up the diamond earrings. Where were stilettos?

"Touché." Ignacio laughed on the other end of the line. "How's the investigation against the Brotherhood going?"

"Lupin, Moriarty, Kadir, and Irene are on the run. The other two, dead." She took a deep breath. "Are you sure it's time to reappear, Ig?"

"I want to settle down, Jac..." He cleared his throat. "Jane. I want to live a life of peace and tranquility. I won't achieve that by running away my whole life, especially with my brother missing."

But I don't know if that's what I want. I never thought about settling down with someone after what you did, Ig. How much longer would you betray me if it's to try to save me?

"I understand you, Ig, and I'm doing what I can, but it takes time. And don't think I've forgotten what you did."

"Never." If she knew him well, he'd have a sly, deceptive smile on his face. "Where will you be?"

"Do you know the Casino at the Hotel Belmont? I'll be there."

"And that's where I'll find you."

She hung up after a kiss. Jane sighed and looked at herself in the mirror.

Despite everything, Ignacio, I want to give you a chance. Really, but I need to be sure that you'll be with me through thick and thin. I may be a fool or something else, but you taught me that I can indeed feel something more. Never forget, however, that you're going to pay. Oh, you will.

Finding her shoes, she straightened up for an unforgettable night under the starry sky of a city of contrasts.