001

☆ 𝐒𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐲𝐚 𝐇𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 ☆Maryland, Ocean City

Maryland, Ocean City

Sariya found herself sitting in the car next to her mother, a stranger to her. Despite not knowing her from a can of paint, Sariya felt a strong desire to understand her and the reasons behind her decision to give her and her twin brother up.

"What would you like to know?" her mother asked with a smile, glancing at Sariya before returning her attention to the road.

Gazing out the window, Sariya studied the side of her mother's face, noticing the resemblance between her and her brother and herself. They looked exactly like her mother, she mused silently.

"Why did you give us up? Were we not good enough for you or something?" Sariya raised her voice slightly, frustration evident in her tone. "You have a whole new family now!"

"First, lower your tone with me," her mother said softly, "I gave you both up because I prioritized a man over my kids, and I regret it, baby."

"Please don't call me baby," Sariya said firmly. "Do you remember that night when a random white man took me and Sawyer? We screamed for you, but you looked at us with no emotion," she chuckled bitterly.

"Why are you giving me a chance if you have so much resentment against me?" her mother asked.

Sariya didn't answer because she wasn't sure. Maybe deep down, she longed for the mother she had when she was little, the one who promised she wouldn't let anyone hurt her. Or perhaps she yearned for the mommy who told Sawyer to protect her, and he certainly kept his word.

She reached into her bag and retrieved a photo of Sawyer, their mother, and herself. It was captured on Christmas Day when they were just 7 years old. Now, as they approached their 18th birthday, they were about to graduate high school.

"Do you remember this day? I remember it like yesterday. I was so happy that I got the pink bike I wanted. You kissed me good morning, and that same night, you let that man take us," she said, frowning.

"Honey, I'm sorry, okay? When I got away and finally came to my senses, you and your brother were my first thought. But your dad told me to give you both time, and then too much time passed, so I moved on with life," her mother explained remorsefully.

Sariya nodded silently and continued to let her mother drive. Then, she received a text message from Sawyer, her brother.

 Then, she received a text message from Sawyer, her brother